need tips for first shot at pulled pork

Started by Tiffin, August 06, 2013, 07:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Looks like you're doing a good job, keep us posted and keep the pictures coming.

Tiffin

As promised here is the pictures of my finished product.

SO overview. The bark with the Jans did turn out very tasty, and the pulled pork was very nice. However i did make some goofs along the way. For one, my biggest problem is checking the dang smoker. I must train myself to resist the urges of opening the smoker and losing allmy heat. The pulled pork came out a little dryer than it should have, it wasnt dry, just  not quite optimal, which was my fault. About 3/4 of the way through the cook time the meats IT reached somewhere around 185, i had done a fork test and it pulled easily, but i wasnt satisfied without reaching at least that 190. However i think i must have lost too much heat in the smoker or something while examining and prodding around the meat. So anyways from there i put the meat back in and checked back after maybe an hour or so, and the meat was sitting at 175, i had checked the meat again, still pulled easy and juicy, but still i wasnt satisfied without seeing that 190 IT. So i left it for another few hours at which it remained pretty steady at 175 to 178, wasnt raising anymore. So supper time came around and it was time to eat and i was fed up with waiting. so i took it out, let it rest a bit and pulled it apart.
Moral of the story, it turned out good but my goofs kept it from reaching excellence.
Also one shoulder was a fair bit juicier than the other, which i believe is because it was the one that i left more fat on after trimming, the fat keeping it juicer through the longer drying cooking times.

So i learned lots and i believe my next one will come closer to excellence.
Thanks again for all the help guys.

Tiffin

BDS4 unmodified

Saber 4

Looks like you did a good job on it, you'll keep tweaking your recipes until you get exactly what you want and if you take good notes you can always duplicate your success'.

Jkwellborn

Looks good. I plan on making pulled pork tomorrow myself

pz

I have problems getting pork butt in my local grocery.  In fact, I was just at the local supermarket and asked the butcher if he had whole brisket - he replied "Sure... over there", but what I saw was only the flat, and even that was outrageously expensive - nearly $5/lb.

I will need to make a trip to my favorite butcher shop (45 minutes away) to see what they have, because the last time I was there I purchased whole brisket for $2.99.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Habanero Smoker

I would definitely say you had a successful cook. Tweaking your techniques is part of barbequing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tiffin

I would love to try a briskest soon but I check the grocery stores everywhere I go and have yet to find one. Going to start checking butcher shops and such.
Also does pulled pork freeze well? And what's your guys favorite methods for re heating.
BDS4 unmodified

pz

Quote from: Tiffin on August 11, 2013, 10:38:27 AM
I would love to try a briskest soon but I check the grocery stores everywhere I go and have yet to find one. Going to start checking butcher shops and such.
Also does pulled pork freeze well? And what's your guys favorite methods for re heating.

It freezes great, gut I'd recommend a vacuum sealer if it is to be saved for any length of time.  Also, the vacuum sealer bags serve double duty - when you want to use the pork, simply pop the bag into heating water and your product will be as good as new  ;)
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Snoopy

X2 on pz's I vac seal and freeze, can't tell you how long it will keep as I think by the time mine is fully freezed it's getting pulled back out to get eaten right away.