Brisket Help

Started by Piker, August 07, 2013, 10:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

I am going to try brisket for the first time and have been reading on here all the info. I do not have a whole brisket  but just the flat of 4 small ones. They maybe are about 3 to 4 lbs. apiece. My plan is to slather and rub the night before let sit for an hr. or two and into the smoker at 200F until the i.t. is about 195F. Then F.T.C until it is time to eat. How long should I keep the smoke rolling and about how long will it take to reach desired i.t. Any other ideas would also be greatly appreciated. Have not been on much this summer lots of company at the lake and taking trips. Things finally slowing down Thanks Piker.

Snoopy

beefmann

Piker,

you have a  good plan going, one  small change .. take your  box temp to  225 and  leave your IT  at 195  for the meat.,,,,

box temp at 200 will  take forever and  tends to dry out the meat

Piker

thanks guys. One thing the flats have been trimmed of the fat before I got them I did not have time to inform the butcher. I will use a water pan and maybe some apple juice to help keep it moist. Piker

Habanero Smoker

For brisket I generally will smoke/cook flats, because that is mainly all I can get in my area; without paying a ridiculous price for a packer. Since the butcher trimmed off the fat cap. If you can get some beef suet from the butcher, and place some of that on a rack above the flats, drippings from the fat will baste the flats. I would use suet. Many will use pork fat, or pork bacon above to baste the flats, but it alters the taste of the brisket too much for my taste. Though either one will help baste the flat, and help keep it moist.

I would add the tray with the fat after the smoke has been applied. Also if you use the suet, replenish you water bowl at least every 3 hours. The bowl may look full, but most of it will be fat drippings. When you replenish the water bowl, check the tray that has the fat to see if you need to add more suet. With flats, I start checking it around 180°F - 185°F, using the fork test to check the tenderness.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Piker

I smoked the briskets for about 6 1/2 hrs,pulled them and FTC until eating time. I was amazed at how hot they still were after 4 hrs. you could not hold them in your barehand. Anyways about 15 people showed up at the lake and just about devoured them all. I am sure it was a new experience for all of us and it was really enjoyed. Thanks to all. Piker

fahmain

I bought a 1lb brisket just because I wanted to try it out before I got a big one. What temp should I put it at and how long?

Ka Honu

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 08, 2013, 01:40:34 AMFor brisket I generally will smoke/cook flats, because that is mainly all I can get in my area; without paying a ridiculous price for a packer.

Interesting - flats here cost about twice as much per pound as packers.

Saber 4

Quote from: fahmain on August 17, 2013, 04:41:56 PM
I bought a 1lb brisket just because I wanted to try it out before I got a big one. What temp should I put it at and how long?

I didn't know you could get one that small :), I would do it at 220 and pick an IT(internal Temp) from the earlier posts based on what you want to do with it when it's done.

TedEbear

Quote from: fahmain on August 17, 2013, 04:41:56 PM

1 lb?  Is that a brisket or a hamburger?   ;D  Anyway, I set mine at 220 for just about everything I smoke.

fahmain

Ya I know when I saw it I was like PERFECT! Small enough to try it out to see if it works well and get used to it, then move onto the big boy!

Ka Honu

Our meat cutters will occasionally trim, freeze, and reduce the price on a cryovaced packer when it hits the sell-by date.  I've bought 1-pound flat portions to use in soups and such but always figured they'd dry out too quickly to smoke.

fahmain

A little worried about it drying out. Is it going to be too small to smoke/cook?

Saber 4

I would give it a try, just keep a close eye on the IT and if it looks dry when you pull it you can FTC it with some beef broth.

fahmain

Ya I'll give it a shot. I aim to eat around 7:00pm. What time do u guys think I should start to cook/smoke it? And sorry what's FTC?