2nd try at Reuben sausage

Started by ragweed, August 07, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

Some of you may remember I made a batch of Reuben sausage last Spring.  They ate real good but were real wet and hard to stuff.  Thought I'd try again and take to Iowa this weekend for evaluation.  Used corned beef brisket, shredded swiss and kraut again.  This time at OU812's suggestion I added four slices of dark rye bread to try and sop up some of the moisture.  Beef ground coarse and the ingredients mixed in, ready to stuff into hog casings.

Still seemed a little wet so I added 6 TBS NFDM, mixed again and let it all sit in the frig for a while.  The stuffing went much better this time, but still a little wet.  I thought the fried up leftover tasted pretty good.  Looking forward to the experts' opinions this weekend.

lilharv

I'm watching this ragweed, my mouths been watering since your first post.

goodluck this wkend

Saber 4

I'm no expert, haven't even gotten past fresh breakfast sausage yet, but I can't wait to try it. :)

rveal23

I sure am going to miss a lot of great treats!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

cobra6223

well hide one till I get there, can't to try them !!! look real good.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: lilharv on August 07, 2013, 09:48:17 PM
I'm watching this ragweed, my mouths been watering since your first post.

goodluck this wkend

Not too late to drive down and join us!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

Would you do us a favor. Have your camera handy when you grill these up and give us a cut shot after they are grilled. I would like to see the texture of the finished product. I love Reuben  sandwiches and this sure sounds good.
KC

Tenpoint5

Kirby if we dont get a picture here look in the MWSO thread. I have a experimental sausage to try this weekend as well

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

cobra6223

I love experiments !!! glad I'm going to Cascade. You're so right Kirby hard to beat a good Reuben.

ragweed

Oh gosh!  Now the pressure is on.  Hope I don't forget to bring them.   ;)  Now I'm worried if the casings will be too tough, if I stuffed them properly, if they even taste like Reubens!   Here's the $ shot of the first attempt.  Hope this batch is better!

pikeman_95

That looks pretty good to me. You say it was too wet. Did you think of using one of the salad spinners or even patting the sauerkraut with paper towels to reduce the moisture. I am looking forward to the next results. It would be great to have these work out. Just think you could have these frozen in the freezer and just have to cook one up to have a Reuben.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pikeman_95 on August 08, 2013, 06:35:09 PM
That looks pretty good to me. You say it was too wet. Did you think of using one of the salad spinners or even patting the sauerkraut with paper towels to reduce the moisture. I am looking forward to the next results. It would be great to have these work out. Just think you could have these frozen in the freezer and just have to cook one up to have a Reuben.

I was thinking on the same line as you. One thing that I do with tofu to get the excess moisture out, is to line a half-sheet pan with a few sheets of newspaper then a layer of paper towel. In your situation you would spread a layer of sauerkraut over the paper towels, cover that with a paper towel and finally a couple of sheets of newspaper. Finally place another half-sheet pan on top, weight it down with a few books, or a couple of large cans of tomatoes. This will press out the excess liquids. For tofu I leave it this way for about 15 minutes, but for sauerkraut five minutes should be plenty of time to press out the excess liquids. With sauerkraut, you may not need the newspaper, just use a couple of layers of paper towels on top and bottom.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ragweed

That sounds like a great idea, Habs.  I sorta did that on the beef but didn't think to do it on the kraut.  Next time I'll towel the beef after it's cut for grinding and use your idea on the kraut.  Thanks expert!! 

Tenpoint5

Using store bought beef that is injection cured. I ground it then pressed some of the moisture out of it. When I make it again. I am going drain the kraut. Then dump into the sausage stuffer and push it through a horn that should expel most of the moisture. I will reserve some of the liquid for flavor and add it back into the sausage when mixing.

cobra6223

I think I mentioned this on the first batch but not sure. Most restaurants I think fry it first and that dries it out some and then you get pretty little browned ends on the kraut.