Beef Loin ideas.

Started by goalieboy, May 23, 2006, 08:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goalieboy

Hey Gang,

Just got a super deal on a nice strip loin roast, around 5 pounds. I know I could slice 'er up into steaks but I was wondering if I could cook it similar to a pork but as you would for pulled pork, 'ceppin "pulled beef" instead.

Any thoughts?

Thanks fellers.

(BTW Olds, still heaven't gotten my email situation straightened out by Martin...)

Goalieboy.

whitetailfan

Hi goalie, haven't heard from you in a while.
Depends on the exact cut of meat.  If it's into the sirloin area, it will be a bit better marbled then the centre cut, but I still don't think it should be pulled.  I would roast it with a nice rub, whole, in the BS.  If the chunk of meat is actually the choice hunk of loin, then it is way too lean to pull, and you are better off steaking it or treating it like a prime rib.

The loin would be the larger piece of a t-bone, or conversely, deboned, it becomes new york strip.  My understanding (could be wrong) is that prime rib is the equivalent of a pork "crown roast" which is the loin with ribs attached.  To build one, you must sacrifice either the t-bone steaks pork chops depending on the beast.

I vote roast/smoke with rub and hickory or oak.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

goalieboy

Hey Whitetail,

Thanks for the ideas. Been away for a while and of course, being a canuck, we do have a non-smoking winter...

The tag says boneless beef striploin so I think I have the centre cut. It looks to have a fairly nice fat cap and is well marbled. I like your idea of roasting 'er in the BS with some rub and oak. How long/what internal temp should I go for?

G

whitetailfan

Without the plateau of a butt, your cook time should be much shorter.
I would suggest at least 3hr smoke, maybe 4, on a 5lb roast.  Cook time estimate 4-5 hrs?
Shoot for an interanal temp of your desired doneness rating.  130 is the minimum, I think that's rare, maybe med-rare at the centre.  If you like it less red, go for 140.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.