DIY Smoker on Isle of Wight

Started by WightSmoker, August 12, 2013, 12:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WightSmoker

New to smoking, but since we grew some rare-breed pork, we just had to try some! I have a non-digital generator and a DIY smoker cabinet.  Having some problems with auto advance after just 3 uses which is disappointing, so I'll post on the main forum for ideas - thanks in advance!

beefmann

welcome aboard,

depending on whats  going on check the following do the following

remove the  8 screws around the  outside of the smoke generator look for the following

1) check any and all  electrical connections,  remove and  re seat all connections
2) check for burs or gouges on or along the track that  may stop the puck  pusher .
3) if under warranty  contact bradly

rveal23

Welcome! We have many experienced smokers here that will give great advice on just about every topic you can think of, concerning smoking.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, they are easily maintained and the folks at Bradley stand by there equipment so if you don't find the solution here (which I bet you will) give them a call or email them and you should be good to go.

Habanero Smoker

Hi WightSmoker;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum under these circumstances.

Also go to Bradley FAQ's. You may find some helpful information there.

Back in June I smoke/cooked a Berkshire Butt. It was by far the best pork I ever had. What breed are you raising?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.

hal4uk

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 12, 2013, 01:02:18 PM
Hi WightSmoker;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum under these circumstances.

Also go to Bradley FAQ's. You may find some helpful information there.

Back in June I smoke/cooked a Berkshire Butt. It was by far the best pork I ever had. What breed are you raising?

Agreed!
Not cheap, but Berkshire is a TREAT.
Like... crazy good...

Got mine from SRF.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

pz

Impressive; I think that's the best photo of pulled pork I have ever seen
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Habanero Smoker

You are right it is crazy good! And that is a crazy goo looking photo of pulled pork. Makes me want to go out and purchase some more.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

rveal23

Wow, that photo looks perfect.. What type of rub did you use on your pork!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

hal4uk

Quote from: rveal23 on August 13, 2013, 10:36:54 AM
Don't remember what rub I used, but that berkshire outshined anything you could add to it!

In that pic, it looks insanely juicy because it is.
I remember when I first looked at the photos I took, it looked like I had spritzed it to make it look that juicy --- but I didn't.
That's just what it looks like.

It's shame it's so expensive...
It's $60 for a 14 lb shoulder -- and the shipping is at least as much (I think it was a little more).
http://store.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kurobuta-pork/bone-in-shoulder/

So, about $9/lb RAW --- Do the math.  Yikes.  That's why I've only done it once.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

NorthShoreMN

welcome from NE Minnesota.  I have visited your Island and
wish I could again, it is beautiful
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: hal4uk on August 19, 2013, 07:29:41 AM
Quote from: rveal23 on August 13, 2013, 10:36:54 AM
Don't remember what rub I used, but that berkshire outshined anything you could add to it!

In that pic, it looks insanely juicy because it is.
I remember when I first looked at the photos I took, it looked like I had spritzed it to make it look that juicy --- but I didn't.
That's just what it looks like.

It's shame it's so expensive...
It's $60 for a 14 lb shoulder -- and the shipping is at least as much (I think it was a little more).
http://store.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kurobuta-pork/bone-in-shoulder/

So, about $9/lb RAW --- Do the math.  Yikes.  That's why I've only done it once.

I paid a little over $9.30/lb., but had to add another $28 for shipping. Since I have found local sources within a descent driving range; so that should cut down on some cost. It is so moist that I didn't add any sauce, and most of the guest didn't add any either, those that did only added a little vaunted vinegar sauce. This will be at least a once a year cook for me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

WightSmoker

Thanks for all the welcome messages,
for those interested we've raised Oxford Sandy & Black, Gloucester Old Spot and Saddlebacks.    I did some cold smoking with a cabinet I built from a 4-drawer filing cabinet and recently I've completed a DIY hot smoker cabinet made from a defunkt freezer.  Works a charm, coupled with the Bradley smoke generator.
Just got to get the bisq feeder working again and we'll be back to it.

WightSmoker

I perhaps need to contact Bradley, unless someone has a magic suggestion!

The advance mechanism works fine - smooth operation etc., when you press the manual advance.
Then the auto advance works perhaps once after 20 mins
Then it stops auto advancing

I've reseated all the connections and made sure there's no debris in the way

I saw a post suggesting switching off during a rotation to reset the motor to go back the other way, but this seems to have made no difference for me. I tried it a few times.

any more ideas, greatly appreciated!

thanks