Bookmarks 1 Bookmarks

Author Topic: The NEW Bradley Counter Top Smoker My Initial Review  (Read 31685 times)

Offline Toker

Re: The NEW Bradley Counter Top Smoker My Initial Review
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 08:24:25 pm »
THX now i understand more  ;) but you know the holes on the upper back what do they stand for if no smoke exhaust by it? Only for more oxygen into the tower?

Offline KyNola

• Moderation Team
  • KCBS CBJ
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 08:50:11 pm »
Haven't fired mine up yet but I'm thinking that puck advance issue could be corrected with Bubba pucks on top of the pucks.

Great review Chris, Robert and Joe.

Offline CLAREGO

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 04:02:16 am »
the leakage part i had a good feeling it was going to do that regardless still a nifty device. thanks for the right up chris

Offline Wildcat

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 12:53:21 pm »
Great reviews so far!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Offline SAHMof2

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 07:16:44 pm »
Hi there.  I just received this smoker for Christmas.  So far I've done a few drumsticks and today I did a whole chicken which sat in a brine all night and then applied a rub. 

My question about your review is the end result.  I found the drumsticks, and to some extent, the whole chicken to have a chemical taste.  No hint of a smoky apple taste either.  The whole chicken was much more tasty but I would almost give that credit to the brine.  I smoked/cooked it on P2 for two hours but it was having hard time maintaining its heat (it was -15 degrees Celsius in the garage) so I upped it to P3 for the remaining 1.5 hours and turned off the smoke.  Finished it off in the oven to get a nice skin.  The meat was juicy and tasty however the skin was ... chemically. 

Can anyone comment on the final result?  Shall I start a new thread instead?

TIA. 

Offline Saber 4

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 07:30:59 pm »
Hi there.  I just received this smoker for Christmas.  So far I've done a few drumsticks and today I did a whole chicken which sat in a brine all night and then applied a rub. 

My question about your review is the end result.  I found the drumsticks, and to some extent, the whole chicken to have a chemical taste.  No hint of a smoky apple taste either.  The whole chicken was much more tasty but I would almost give that credit to the brine.  I smoked/cooked it on P2 for two hours but it was having hard time maintaining its heat (it was -15 degrees Celsius in the garage) so I upped it to P3 for the remaining 1.5 hours and turned off the smoke.  Finished it off in the oven to get a nice skin.  The meat was juicy and tasty however the skin was ... chemically. 

Can anyone comment on the final result?  Shall I start a new thread instead?

Welcome to the forum, I have never had a chemical taste to my food coming out of the BCS, however I usually cook at PL 04 or 05 which may give me a better smoke result, also did you do the seasoning of the smoker by the manual? if not you may have been flavoring with some of the left over oils and such from the manufacturing process.

TIA.

Offline SAHMof2

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 08:24:40 pm »
Thank you for the welcome SABER 4.  We did pre-season but only for about 1.5 hours.  I had hoped with the whole chicken the factor smell, if that's what it was, would have been gone.  P2 for 4 hours is what the little booklet advised.  Hmmm...

I will try chicken again at the higher settings although my next attempt I hope to be a nice piece of salmon! 

Thanks again.

Offline Saber 4

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 07:19:56 am »
Thank you for the welcome SABER 4.  We did pre-season but only for about 1.5 hours.  I had hoped with the whole chicken the factor smell, if that's what it was, would have been gone.  P2 for 4 hours is what the little booklet advised.  Hmmm...

I will try chicken again at the higher settings although my next attempt I hope to be a nice piece of salmon! 

Thanks again.

Unfortunately the booklet was written for the 4-6 rack models and the new one with forum member recipes has not been printed and put in the new boxes yet as far as I am aware. As for your salmon project I would suggest that you start a new thread about that in the BCS section asking for tips from the fish experts, I would be afraid to put fish in the BCS at a high power level with it's convection heating style which might dry it out and over cook it quickly. I'm sure some of the other's with the BCS have done salmon in theirs and can help you better with it than I can.

Offline ragweed

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 07:34:28 am »
Check out the BCS recipe booklet.  10.5 has a salmon recipe there.

Offline Indy Smoker

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 12:48:03 pm »
The door appears to be glass. How is that holding up fate a few smokes. Does it get all black and nasty where you cannot see thru it ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ragweed

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 02:20:23 pm »
The door appears to be glass. How is that holding up fate a few smokes. Does it get all black and nasty where you cannot see thru it ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not too bad.  I've only had to clean it once.  And that was after an unusually moist batch of chicken breasts.

Offline Saber 4

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »
I wipe mine down with a damp paper towel after each smoke so I can see inside better for the next smoke.

Offline mjohn4330

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 09:47:20 am »
My first countertop smoker lasted about 30 days and then the heater stopped working. They replaced it very quickly (good service) with a new one. No questions asked. The second one worked the first time I used it, and now the fan doesn't push the smoke thru the unit. It just leaks out everywhere. Except the oven itself. No smoke in the oven. So now I'm very unsure about the quality of these units.

Offline Shanne

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 06:07:05 pm »
Just received the BS-712 for my 9th anniversary, to replace my OBS of 12 years that went up in flames last weekend.

Read the manual, took it outside dropped in 6 pucks plugged it in set the temp and smoke timers for 2 hours.

Everything seemed good.  Walked back into the house to read more on these forums and heard a loud racket.

Went back out side to listen and the fan was clanking like crazy and slowing down, eventually came to a stop and the smoke started pouring out the vents and the feed tube.

I was hoping everything I read about them wasn't going to be true of mine but after only running about 5 minutes and it giving up I guess its true.

Now I wait until the OBS goes on sale again.

Offline Tenpoint5

• Moderation Team
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 08:07:14 pm »
Just received the BS-712 for my 9th anniversary, to replace my OBS of 12 years that went up in flames last weekend.

Read the manual, took it outside dropped in 6 pucks plugged it in set the temp and smoke timers for 2 hours.

Everything seemed good.  Walked back into the house to read more on these forums and heard a loud racket.

Went back out side to listen and the fan was clanking like crazy and slowing down, eventually came to a stop and the smoke started pouring out the vents and the feed tube.

I was hoping everything I read about them wasn't going to be true of mine but after only running about 5 minutes and it giving up I guess its true.

Now I wait until the OBS goes on sale again.
give Bradley CS service a call they should be able to get you a replacement unit out to you
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!