19th Annual BBQ on the River Paducah KY

Started by KyNola, August 14, 2013, 11:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

We're having a big annual BBQ competition about 1 1/2 miles from my house this Fri - Sun or I'd be tempted to bike down there Saturday for a few hours.

Saber 4

2 AM and we just got settled into our room in Paducah to catch a nap before the festivities.

KyNola

WAKE UP!!  We got BBQ to eat and Judy has to go to the National Quilt Museum.

Yesterday was the first day of the Festival.  Typically on Thursday night you can still navigate fairly well through the crowd.  Not this time.  It was packed!  I can only imagine what Friday and Saturday nights will bring.

Just a few quick shots.

jdhunt0

I was there for my first time last year on at saturday.  I was there from 11-3 maybe and never thought it was too crowded.  Guess it gets busy at night?

pensrock

QuoteNot this time.  It was packed!  I can only imagine what Friday and Saturday nights will bring.

That is because of the celebrity judges you brought in. Everybody wants to meet them and learn from their wisdom, even if wheelbarrows are involved.  :o ;D

Tenpoint5

You guys are gonna have some good times. I am going to try and make it next year for sure!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

Friday afternoon and the gang is hanging out at Base Camp Shandie's

Judy and Chrystal eyeballing something "important" on the phone

Forgot to take pictures of the jerky rounds and snack sticks Rick brought before we devoured them, got to get some sleep now to be ready for the chicken judging breakfast of champions at 8:30 AM

pensrock

Saber 4

Judy and I just got back to the motel room for the night and I have to say this was an awesome weekend with good friends, fun times and lots to eat including stuff that was made and brought by Rick and me. Then Larry surprised us this morning with our own batches of Jan's rub made by Jan herself and some Blazing Pistachios. I have to say that judging chicken for the first time was a good and interesting experience and getting to see one of the whole hogs as it went in the team's smoker and as it came out the next day for judging was fun. I want to say a special thank you to Larry and Jan for being such good hosts and making us feel welcome in their town and to Rick for sharing his recipes and knowledge with me, and to Chrystal for keeping Rick in the wheelbarrow and off the Segway Friday night. If you can find a way to join this bunch for next year's 20th BBQ on the River you will have a good time for sure. Now all that's left is to meet Rick and Chrystal for breakfast in the morning at Bob Evans and start the 9 1/2 hour run for Texas.

KyNola

Another BBQ on the River is in the books for Jan and me.  I can't thank Saber and Judy and NePaS and Chrystal enough for making incredible long drives just to come to Paducah.  Jan and I both judged whole hogs again this year and it is without a doubt the best judging job in this competition.

Saber has left out something he brought to the Festival along with a lot of serious good jerky.  He brought 2 bags of homemade smoked party mix or Chex mix, whatever you call them.  The difference is he modifies the ingredients of the mix and modifies it really well.  THEN he seasons them two different ways.  One is really good "as is" and then........there is the batch Rick and I nicknamed "Double Stuff".  Seriously good and that bag came home with me!

Of course (at my whining request) Rick brings a large bag of those salami sticks that he has perfected along with a large bag of jerky wafers.  Rick might have also brought some peach flavored refreshing beverage too.

Once again, thanks to Rick, Chrystal, Robert and Judy for making the long trip and thanks to the many members of the forum who contacted us either by Forum, email or text to keep up with what we were up to.

Mark your calendars for next years 20th ever Barbecue on the River in Paducah KY.  I understand they have some very special things already planned since it is the 20th!  You won't want to miss it.   

Saber 4

I'll send you the recipe when I get back to Texas :)

Tenpoint5

I know you guys had a great time a sitting there "People Watching!".
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TedEbear

Sounds like a lot of fun.  We're finishing our annual Wildwood BBQ bash this afternoon.  100 booths this year and over 50,000 people attended last year's event.  If it had not been for it being held the same weekend as this one was I might have hopped on the Honda and ridden down there for a few hours yesterday.  Maybe next year.

ragweed

Sounds like y'all had a great time.  Marking my calendar for next year.

NePaSmoKer

The BBQ was great fun.

Thanks Larry & Jan for the great hospitality and showing us around.

Robert & Judy

The jerky and chex mix was excellent.

Very nice seeing you both again.

Will be posting pics soon. We made it to Columbia SC for the night then onto get tiffy and then home.

Ya never know where we may end up.