Snack Sticks

Started by stantonl, August 15, 2013, 07:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stantonl

I'm going to try and make my first batch of snack sticks and wanted to make sure I had a good plan. I would like to grind/stuff the sticks tonight and smoke tomorrow. Is it ok to do this with collagen casing? I thought I read it somewhere before on here that you shouldn't let them sit in the fridge, but I can't find it now.

I also wanted to say thanks to you guys for all of the great information on this site.

Larry

Tenpoint5

Letting the sticks sit overnight in collagen casings can cause the casings to weaken and also make your sticks dry. Because the collagen will absorb the moisture out of the meat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 15, 2013, 08:36:27 AM
Letting the sticks sit overnight in collagen casings can cause the casings to weaken and also make your sticks dry. Because the collagen will absorb the moisture out of the meat.
X2

Every time I have stuffed Collagen casings and put in the fridge overnight I had lose casings.  I threw that game plan out a long time ago  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

stantonl

Thanks. I'll do the whole process tomorrow instead.

Larry