Jans Rub help

Started by Dudley, August 15, 2013, 07:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

What kind of Paprika to use? I made a rub and used some cheap stuff and it was way too hot. Found out there is Spanish and European. But can not find them marked on the jar most of the time. Want to try Jan's rub but I don't want hot. Thanks

Dud

KyNola

Most paprika will be labeled whether it is hot or not.  If it happens to say "half sharp", consider it hot.  You are looking for regular paprika.  Some of it may be labeled "sweet paprika".  That is the mild too.

hal4uk

You just want readily available Spanish paprika.
If you find/have "smoked paprika" or "smoked Spanish paprika" that's fine too (but more expensive).

As Larry sorta mentioned...  "Half Sharp" is a demented euphemism for "Tastes like Cayenne Pepper".
Uhhh...  Don't substitute with it.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ragweed

You might want to check out www.penzeys.com.  I use their spices almost exclusively.  They sell both types.  I have made Jan's rub successfully using their Hungarian-Style Sweet Kulonleges Paprika.   

Yancey

Although I am new to the Bradley I have been around 6+ decades of BBQ.  Don't know why you would want to ask a westie about pulled pork.  I'd be asking them about tri-tip.  No, for pulled pork you want to ask a southerner.  Being that I have been on the west cast of something or another if you count creeks and rivers I'll chime in with one bit of additional info.  I'll confine myself to the paprika.  I use 3 kinds in my rubs.  I use both sweet and hot Hungarian paprika.  Vary that mix to your exact heat tolerance.  Reduce cayenne in the recipe if you need to.  The kicker though is the added smoked Spanish paprika.  For me it is all about layers and levels of flavor.  This blend of 3 instead of a single paprika adds just that.   

Ka Honu

Quote from: Yancey on September 02, 2013, 02:47:13 PM... Don't know why you would want to ask a westie about pulled pork...  you want to ask a southerner.

Huh?  Did they move Kentucky and Illinois to the west coast without telling me?  I hate it when that happens.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 02, 2013, 11:47:54 PM
Quote from: Yancey on September 02, 2013, 02:47:13 PM... Don't know why you would want to ask a westie about pulled pork...  you want to ask a southerner.

Huh?  Did they move Kentucky and Illinois to the west coast without telling me?  I hate it when that happens.

Yeah i hear ya. What does being from the west have to do with PP not being done right?

They finish the bridge yet to San Diego?

KyNola

Quote from: Yancey on September 02, 2013, 02:47:13 PM
Although I am new to the Bradley I have been around 6+ decades of BBQ.  Don't know why you would want to ask a westie about pulled pork.  I'd be asking them about tri-tip.  No, for pulled pork you want to ask a southerner.  Being that I have been on the west cast of something or another if you count creeks and rivers I'll chime in with one bit of additional info.  I'll confine myself to the paprika.  I use 3 kinds in my rubs.  I use both sweet and hot Hungarian paprika.  Vary that mix to your exact heat tolerance.  Reduce cayenne in the recipe if you need to.  The kicker though is the added smoked Spanish paprika.  For me it is all about layers and levels of flavor.  This blend of 3 instead of a single paprika adds just that.
I am completely confused about this post.  1.)In the first place, pulled pork is not mentioned ANYWHERE in the original question. 2.)The "Jan" of Jan's Original Dry Rub is my wife.  We developed the recipe for the Rub and finally, 3.)I live in Western Kentucky where we take great pride in burning hickory to smoke some of the best pulled pork anywhere in the US, including the West coast, wherever the hell that is.

Since you are new to the forum, I will chalk your comments up to just that, being new to the forum and wanting to contribute something even if it is misinformed.   

rveal23

KyNola, the west coast is in the West..  :o
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Ka Honu

Quote from: rveal23 on September 03, 2013, 04:21:18 PM... the west coast is in the West..

Who knew? I always though it was about 2,400 miles northeast.

STLstyle

Outside of the southerner bs I like the post about 3 kinds of paprika.  Complex is good in my book.  If you mix in a little geography your post would taste a lot better...
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

KyNola

Quote from: rveal23 on September 03, 2013, 04:21:18 PM
Which explains why I don't know where it is.  ;D

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on September 03, 2013, 07:14:10 PM
Quote from: rveal23 on September 03, 2013, 04:21:18 PM
Which explains why I don't know where it is.  ;D
Dangit, Larry... 

It ain't all that far to the "West Coast". 
Memphis sits right dang on it...
So does NOLA...
Quit play actin' like you ain't seen it...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

iceman

Hmmmmm, west coast is south from me! I'm really corn fused now!  ;D

Oh, did I mention I really like Jan's rub.  ;)

KyNola

Quote from: iceman on September 06, 2013, 05:20:18 PM
Oh, did I mention I really like Jan's rub.  ;)
Iceman, I've told you this before and I am proud to say this again; For you to say that, it is a supreme compliment for Jan and me as we know your expertise when it comes to developing Rubs and Sauces.

Thank you my friend.