how best to prepare arctic char for hot smoking

Started by arctic charlie, August 16, 2013, 08:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arctic charlie

Hi everyone,

I hot smoked my arctic char first time yesterday, and when I tasted them, they are quite salty.   So next batch I am going to go easier on the salt in the brine process.

But a question related to this:

Some websites have the fish soak in a brine for hot smoking, and some other websites have you rub a dry rub onto the fish fillets and have them wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for at least 24 hours.

QUESTION:  which way is best to prepare fish for hot smoking? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tskeeter

Charlie, I've been using the dry brine (rub) method.  Works OK for me, but I'm anxious to try a wet brine on some Alaskan silvers my BIL sent a few weeks ago.  I think either approach works just fine.  It becomes a question of preference.  Warren Anderson claims the dry brine method is more forgiving.  I assume because the brine absorbs into the fish more slowly.  So, based on the being forgiving comment, I decided to dry brine.  Folks that are smoking large amounts of fish seem to use a wet brine.  I expect part of the reason for that is that a wet brine takes a few hours vs. about 24 hours for a dry brine.  I think my better half would get a bit annoyed with me if I took over the entire refrigerator for a day or two to dry brine 20 or 30 pounds of fish.

In respect to your char, did you rinse the brine off thoroughly before you smoked?  Assuming you rinsed off the brine (excess salt), there are two techniques for managing how much salt is absorbed by what you are brining.  Reducing the salt content of your brine, as you suggested.  Or reducing the brining time.  All you have to remember is that thinner fish require less brining time for the brine to fully penetrate the fish than thicker fish.  And that fish with less firm flesh will probably absorb the brine faster than very firm fleshed fish.  It's a bit of a guessing game as to how much is enough.

To help us get our processes dialed in, many folks keep smoking logs.  A log helps them remember what they did last time, so they can repeat their successes.  Or it gives them the starting point for the current round of  tweaks and adjustments.  I find that having an old smoke plan, even if it is not absolutely accurate, helps me lay out the plan for my current smoke with little effort.  I know how long to expect things to take.  I don't forget steps or get them out of sequence.  I know how much smoke I applied and which wood I used.  I can see what temps I used and, if I ramped up temps during the smoke, what the ramp up was.  And I have my comments about what to change for the next smoke.  To me, my smoke plan is my recipe for my smoke.

pjplovedog

Hi
Even though I am new here, I have been smoking fish for about 20 years.  I always use a wet brine, with a combo of salt and brown sugar.  Mostly I do salmon, with occasional Black Cod (sablefish) or trout. 
During the last 1/2 hour or so, I brush the filets with a little apple juice concentrate- thawed, over the top.  I find that it helps offset the saltiness of the brine.  I also always rinse the filets and dry them overnight to develop the pellicle before loading them into the smoker. 
Here is the basic brine that I use:
For two whole Fillets:  (adjust as necessary)
1 1/2 cups coarse salt - I use Morton's Kosher
1 1/2 cups loosely packed dark brown sugar
4 1/2 quarts water

Sometimes I add other spices/seasonings to the actual fillets before they go into the smoker such as crushed black peppercorns, etc. 

Everybody raves about my smoked fish and I have never had an issue with it being overly salty. 
I hope this helps. 

PJP

ragweed

I coat the skin side with olive oil, sprinkle the other side with powdered ginger and powdered garlic.  Then just a dash of salt and dill weed.  I smoke/cook using Special Blend or Alder for 1 1/2 hours at 220 F.  Be careful not to cook too long.  It will dry out.  I cook one filet, 2 1/2 to 3 lbs cut in half to fit the rack.