Total Smoker Novice - What do I need & where should I start?

Started by HRC99, August 18, 2013, 05:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HRC99

Hi everyone,

Hello from Yorkshire!

I've been lurking for a while but have finally taken the plunge and ordered an Original Bradley Smoker.  It should be delivered Tuesday.

I've cleared out an appropriate space in the garage for it and father-in-law is sorting out the electrics for me - on the promise of invitation to try the first results.

Just wanted to get some advice on:

• What are the essentials that I'll need to get started
    What would be the best thing for a novice to smoke for their first time
    Anything I else you guys think I need to know for a total novice

So far, I've got/will have:

Original Bradley Smoker
48 pack Mixed Bisquettes
Thermapen

And that's pretty much it.

All and any help gratefully accepted!

Thanks!

beefmann

welcome aboard,

1) if  smoking in a garage, vent the smoke to the  out side, 
2) provide a dedicated circuit to the smoker  ( or a circuit with   little or nothing on it ) on these smokers  they are  voltage sensitive 120 volts being the best... 115 being  pour
3) get  maverick et 732 thermometer or other  remote thermometer that you can read from  outside the box...  every time you  open the  box you   loose heat... the box has to recover this heat before it starts  cooking  again... taking up to  30  mins  or  longer
4) when you find your  favorite bisquettes stock up  on them... though i would recommend a variety  of them in the  120 packs,,, they are cheaper at a per  puck  price
5) get  puck  savers ( aluminum disks  same size of pucks) in a qty of 3
6) fill your  bowl with water for the  smoking process
7) start off with a 2 hour smoke and adjust from there ( most smoke from 2 to 4 hours )
8) after the smoking process has  stopped,  change out the  water  bowl and add in a flavored beverage  any  soda, beer, juice etc

visit the  recipe side
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

p.s keep your top vent  open...  keep the  vent  open.. . keep the  vent  open....  oh  yeah,,, , keep the  vent  opsn

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, Beefmann has you on the right track. I did some salmon filets that I had in the freezer for my first smoke, however you could easily do a pork shoulder for pulled pork or a brisket for your first try. Any meat that you can get for a good price that does well with a low and slow cooking method will work for a first smoke, just do your research here and on the recipe site that Beefmann referenced, ask any questions you don't find an answer for and you should have fun and end up with a tasty meal.

HRC99

Quote from: beefmann on August 18, 2013, 06:53:46 AM
welcome aboard,

1) if  smoking in a garage, vent the smoke to the  out side, 
2) provide a dedicated circuit to the smoker  ( or a circuit with   little or nothing on it ) on these smokers  they are  voltage sensitive 120 volts being the best... 115 being  pour
3) get  maverick et 732 thermometer or other  remote thermometer that you can read from  outside the box...  every time you  open the  box you   loose heat... the box has to recover this heat before it starts  cooking  again... taking up to  30  mins  or  longer
4) when you find your  favorite bisquettes stock up  on them... though i would recommend a variety  of them in the  120 packs,,, they are cheaper at a per  puck  price
5) get  puck  savers ( aluminum disks  same size of pucks) in a qty of 3
6) fill your  bowl with water for the  smoking process
7) start off with a 2 hour smoke and adjust from there ( most smoke from 2 to 4 hours )
8) after the smoking process has  stopped,  change out the  water  bowl and add in a flavored beverage  any  soda, beer, juice etc

visit the  recipe side
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

p.s keep your top vent  open...  keep the  vent  open.. . keep the  vent  open....  oh  yeah,,, , keep the  vent  opsn

Thanks for the reply.

Maverick ET732 ordered this afternoon.  :)

It's a cross between a garage and a car port. The back of it is open to the elements so very well ventilated.

I'll tell my Father-in-law, he is an electrician so should be fine with doing that.

Struggling to get hold of the mixed puck packs in 120s over here in the UK. Don't know if there's anyone from the UK with suggestions as to good stockists?

What do I need aluminium pucks for? ???

Saber 4

[/quote]

You put them on top of your wood pucks and set your smoke timer for extra time to push the last wood puck into the water so it doesn't keep burning and turn to ash.

HRC99

Quote from: Saber 4 on August 18, 2013, 08:39:11 AM

You put them on top of your wood pucks and set your smoke timer for extra time to push the last wood puck into the water so it doesn't keep burning and turn to ash.
[/quote]

Thanks Saber.

Cant seem to find them in the UK. Are they a Bradley product?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: HRC99 on August 18, 2013, 09:28:31 AM
Quote from: Saber 4 on August 18, 2013, 08:39:11 AM

Thanks Saber.

Cant seem to find them in the UK. Are they a Bradley product?
[/quote]

Click here for the puck savers. Auber ships Internationally

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=111

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

HRC99

Thanks everyone. Cant wait to get started. Tuesday can't come quick enough for me. Sadly, a crazy busy week at work means I'll have to wait until Sunday to start smoking.

HRC99

HRC99

And been unpacked.

Just a shame that work will prevent me from firing it up until Sunday.

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

SiFumar

pz

My online cookbook: good food & friends

HRC99

Ribs or Pulled Pork as the first food to be cooked? ;)