Jerky Cook Times...Help????

Started by zr2paul, November 06, 2003, 12:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n/a

Another thing I've noticed that might be helpful is that after three times of smoking with the smoker is that on the inside of the door I had some flaking of the smoke/condinsation build-up,I've taken a soft brush and brushed the inside of the smoker then blew it out with air, that should keep any flakes off the meat?? Also where I got my smoker the person there said the drip tray went on the bottom under the water pan, I'm pretty sure it goes under the bottom rack as the manual states if I'm reading it right? I think one would have a big mess on the deflector and in the water pan if not!

Larry M [;)]

Chez Bubba

Larry,

The drip pan MUST go under the water pan. Do not put it above the light tube or it will trap all the heat causing the lower part of the smoker to melt.

The v-shaped tray is supposed to get messy, that's its job, so that gunk doesn't get all over your smoker. It cleans right up when you are done.

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

n/a

Hmmmm, thanks Bubba, I guess I've been doing it wrong???? As the book say's on page two, " place the drip tray (4) on the onto the bottom side ladder" !!

Larry M

Chez Bubba

I'm not sure what book you have. My owners manual on page 2 under "When in Use" says: "Do not put the rectangular tray any place other than the bottom of the unit, as this can cause severe damage to your smoker." Page 5 has a drawing showing the placement of all components.

Maybe the confusion is in the terminology. They refer to the v-shaped thing as the "Drip Tray" and the solid flat tray as the "Bottom Rectangular Tray". I do know the bottom rectangular tray was an improvement and early smokers did not come with one.

Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

n/a

Ok Bubba, I just got off the phone with the Bradley people and your right, we do have different owners manuals! And the tri-angular pan goes under the water bowl. Hopefully they will update their manuals after this??? I will be putting the what I thought was the drip pan under the water bowl from now on.

Thanks for your help and information,

Larry M [;)]

zr2paul

Sorry I didnt respond earlier but I finished my Moose Jerky.  It came out not so bad.  It's edible and it didnt come out like leather BUT it's too crispy?!?!  Any idea what I did wrong?  I kept the temperature at 150-160F for 5.5 hours with the Hickory smoking bisquettes for about 4 hours (give or take a little).  The vent was a quarter open the hole time.  Being this the first time I made jerky in the Bradley Smoker and only the second time ever using the Bradley Smoker I somewhat satisfied how it came out.  The HiMountain Hickory Jerky Cure and Seasoning is VERY good!  The Cajun is ok, its spicy but not the type of spicy I like and the Pepper & Garlic (I think thats what it was) is ok but I wouldnt use it again.

I really want to try and make some Trout or Salmon in the Smoker I think that would be great!

Paul

Wilbur

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Larry M</i>
<br />the tri-angular pan goes under the water bowl. [;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Are you sure? I don't think so, for 1 it would be unstable. My manual shows the drip tray above the burner, below the bottom rack of food.
I've always put it there, never had a problem.

Mine came with another tray not shown in the book that has a detent where the water bowl goes, so I assume it goes under the water bowl. I think maybe the Bradley people were talking about the wrong tray when they spoke with you?

n/a

Bradley has updated their manual! I for one of many got the older version and it did appear in mine that the triangular pan went under the bottom rack, the newer manual is very clear about it going under the water bowl!

Happy smoken.... [;)]

Ken

I received a Brinkman Smoker for Christmas.  I knlw nothing about smoking, but would like to learn to do jerky.  I am open to any suggestions as to how this beginner should get started.  Thanks

Ken C.

Ken

Ken

I received a Brinkman Smoker for Christmes.  I have never sonked anything, but would like to learn to do jerky.  I am open to any suggestions as to how this beginner shold get started.  Thanks

Ken C.

Ken

Chez Bubba

Ken,

Drinking & typing can be dangerous to your health![:D]

Seriously, I've cooked hundreds of meals on a Brinkman & have never been able to concoct a plan to make jerky. The water pan is designed to infuse moisture into the cooker, to make jerky you need to remove moisture. Not to say it can't be done, but I'd love to hear someone's recipe.

Kirk

n/a

Kirk,

First, very well put on the water pan issue, you almost had it word for word what I tried to post! My unit fits a little snug also but just tweeked it a little and it's fine... It's snowing here this morning as it has for the past two day's and am waiting to plow when it slacks off a little so thought I would respond to your Jerky questions??? Here is what I've been doing with my jerky, we catch a lot of Steelhead here from Aug thru Jan from 12-20+ pounds in size, I  fillet them and put them in the freezer until I get ready to smoke or jerk them, thaw them a little then lay out and slice like a loaf of bread in 3/8 inch slices, I've been using the High Mountin Jerky mix, just follow the directions and smoke for 5 hours at around 150-160 then I will take the bisquetts and water bowl out and turn the heat up with the vent open so it will dry to taste until done. We like the Mandarin Teriyaki mix.  The last time I did some smoked fish using the Alaskan Salmon Brine Mix and added a whole package of the Mandarin Teriyaki to the Brine and put the whole bunch of fish in the mix and left over knight then dried a little on the racks and smoked the whole mess at the same time leaving the jerky in longer to dry more, I had 7 racks of fish. They both turned out great! If one has a good resource for fish I think it can be as good or better than beef! I think the most important thing is getting the cook and smoke time down!  I've not had a bad batch of product with the Bradley! Everyone has a favorite recipe but I think that's the fun of smoking to try different ideas!  Keep up the good work with your posts and thanks for taking the time to post... [;)]

MallardWacker

Bubba Dude,

How confuzzing.  Got my BS this Christmas.  The picture on the box puts the triagle pan "the one with the slits and v-shaped" above the heat lamp and bowl.  The rectangle pan with and indentation for the bowl is on the bottom below the lamp.  The manual has the same picture.  So you are saying that the picture on the box and the newer manual is not correct.  Please tell me I got my head where it shouldn't be and I miss uderstood this discussion.

One tuyrkey, three chickens and 6 potatoes later, couldn't be happier.

"Maybe the confusion is in the terminology. They refer to the v-shaped thing as the "Drip Tray" and the solid flat tray as the "Bottom Rectangular Tray". I do know the bottom rectangular tray was an improvement and early smokers did not come with one."

[/quote]

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

mski

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />The picture on the box puts the triagle pan "the one with the slits and v-shaped" above the heat lamp and bowl.  The rectangle pan with and indentation for the bowl is on the bottom below the lamp.  The manual has the same picture.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is exactly the correct way to have it configured.

The older manuals did not address the rectangular pan but the new ones like yours have been updated.

Glad you're enjoying your new toy, ain't it fun?[8D]

MallardWacker

Thanks Bubba.  I enjoy all your help on the forum.  See ay around...

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

mski

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...