Help with BS smoker

Started by BigRed, July 04, 2004, 12:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRed

I have enjoyed reading all the different advise on using the BS and the different recipes. Thank you. Here is my problem or issue, I have had the BS since April and have had nothing but problems. Frist, the BS came broken (door broken off hinges) dealer sent me a new one. Second BS heating tube broken. Dealer sent me new one. After putting in new heating coil, generator did not work. (sent new one from corporate) Have finally been able to start using it. The issue, I can not get temp. below 250 degrees. When I attempt to adjust the leveler at the bottom, even so slightly it goes off!  I have attempted to keep the top vent wide open to reduce the heat to no avail. I beleive in the "low and slow" idea but I can't seem to get there wtih this unit.
 I have a pork tendrloin (2.5 lbs) with Hickory in right now that I want to do for 2 hours but as I stated the temp. has gone off twice and had to boost it up,it is now 250 degrees+ with the top vent wide open. Lord knows what results I will get. Any advise? or should I dump it?

BigRED

BigSmoker

Sorry to hear about the problems.  I think I would call the 800# tuesday and tell them the problems.  It sounds like IMHO that the temp control unit may be broken as well.  I have been using my BS for 8 months and have never had any problems.  I always like to use an electronic polder to see what my temperature is at all times.  The secret to the BS is to leave the door closed.  If you need to until all problems are resolved take the tenderloin and finish in the oven.  Hope this helps.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

Interesting... Sounds like you got a lemon or someone's rework on the slight.

As Jeff said, call Bradley direct. tell them the whole story. I know they will replace whatever is broken....but still that is a lot of problems.

BTW Who is the dealer you purchased this from, and was it suppose to be new or a used model?
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />Sorry to hear about the problems.  I think I would call the 800# tuesday and tell them the problems.  It sounds like IMHO that the temp control unit may be broken as well.  I have been using my BS for 8 months and have never had any problems.  I always like to use an electronic polder to see what my temperature is at all times.  The secret to the BS is to leave the door closed.  If you need to until all problems are resolved take the tenderloin and finish in the oven.  Hope this helps.

Jeff

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

BigRED

BigRed

Thanks Jeff for the advise I will call on Tuesday. Took the pork tenderloins off after 2 hours great smoke taste but had to finish in the oven. Plan on smoking burgers tomorrow for the 4th 1hr of smoking and finishing them on the Weber. Temp. in smoker should not be a problem. If you received this message twice it is because i am new with this sysyem. Have a great and safe 4th of July!

Ron

BigRED

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoW-Oldman</i>
<br />Interesting... Sounds like you got a lemon or someone's rework on the slight.

As Jeff said, call Bradley direct. tell them the whole story. I know they will replace whatever is broken....but still that is a lot of problems.

BTW Who is the dealer you purchased this from, and was it suppose to be new or a used model?
Olds
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds! Thank you also for your reply. I am going to call Tuesday becasue this is driving me crazy! Going to try smoking burgers tomorrow so temp. not as important just flavor. Thanks again and have a safe and fun 4th of July!

Ron

BigRED

GravyTrain

I used my BS today for the 1st time!
Did the smoked Salmon thing and it came out GREAT!
I did have issues with the temp thing though!
I noticed the temp went down when the meat was placed inside
the oven and it took a long time to get back up to the proper
temp! I had to play with it for about an hour to get it to the
recomended temp, only to need to raise the temp for the 2nd
session!
This temp setting thing is a real pain in the *** BUT! the
outcome from my 1st try is AWSOME!

Keep tring and get your BSmoker to work! It will be worth it!

---Happy 4th! - Fly the flag!---
-Gravy-

jaeger

Hi Big Red,
I just received my smoker at the first part of June. I have not had the chance to use it that much but when I seasoned mine, after reaching the temp. recommended of 200 - 225 degrees the temp. stayed there even after turning the thermostat all the way down. I'm just wondering if you are not experiencing the same type thing since a 2 1/2 pound roast is not that large. Tonight I cooked 2 boneless pork loins (weight 15 lbs) and with the thermostat set at maximum, the temp. never reached higher than 220 degrees.
   With the number of problems that you have had I would try to get a new replacement. Just a reminder that it will cook at different times etc. with different size loads.

BigSmoker

a good rule of thumb for me is to let the meat reach room temperature before opening the smoker door.  For me I just start a little earlier than I planned so after opening the door for the first time it compenstates for the lost temp. Happy Q'ing.

Jeff

GravyTrain

Hey BigSmoker,
What you just said was my next idea!
I need to plan ahead and compisate fer the temp changes when the door is opened!
This is the AWSOME Smoker!

-Gravy-
Ventura, Ca USA!

whitetailfan

Bigred,
Sounds like you got the smoker that the dealer was stealin replacement parts off of[:D]
That's crap, and I would call the company BUT now you are down to your only problem keeping below 250deg.  Perhaps your door thermo is pooched.  I know a lot of guys here who do not believe the factory thermo at all, they all use digital probes.  I think mine is pretty close so I only use a digital thermo for the meat.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

David6340

Here is another stupid question from a newbie, but what is an electric polder? I've been reading the topics on this forum with great interest in preperation of ordering a BS from Bubba. I've never smoked before so this is all new to me. Thanks for your help.

Dave

BigSmoker

A polder is a temperature guage that you stick in the meat before cooking or you can use an instant read one.  Since its best to not open the door on the BS an electronic polder such as the Mavrick IMHO is the way to go.  The Mavrick is like 50 bucks but it tells the meat temp and the cooking chamber temp.  The mac daddy of all is The BBQ Guru but It is for charcoal grills[:(]  Hope this helps.

Jeff