cooking for 40

Started by mark uk, August 13, 2013, 10:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark uk

Hello from a newbie.

I've had the 4 rack digital for a few years and enjoyed using it. Next week I have a challenge to rise to........

We have at least 40 people round for a garden do and I want to wow them with a Bradley cooked delight.
I was thinking of brined, hot smoked chickens.
When they are cooked they can be served alongside the bbq and a big  oven roasted pork joint with apple sauce.

Help please...
Question; how many chickens can I reasonably cook at once, each bird will be about 3lb.
How long should I brine them and what wood is best for smoking?

Thanks in anticipation for your help and any other advice you might give.....

Mark.

beefmann

im thinking 2 maybe 3 on a rack,, and maybe 2 racks... as for brining only a few hours,, 3 to 4 would  work,

if it was  me .. . i would hit the chickens with a hot  smoke for a couple of hours  then  finish on a  grill.,.. other wise the skin becomes rubbery

hope tis helps

KyNola

In addition to Beefmann's good advice, I would urge you to make sure your vent is 100% wide open the entire time.  Poultry gives off a ton of moisture and you need that to leave the tower asap.  Otherwise the trapped moisture will hold the cooking temp down and may also condensate on the inside top of your tower and rain an ugly foul tasting black liquid down on to your chicken.

As for the type of wood, I would first recommend hickory or second, apple.

mark uk

very helpful advice.
Thank you both!

Habanero Smoker

If you want your guest to have a unique flavored chicken, serve them Cornell Chicken, and make sure you brine them; but no more then 2 hours. For the sauce, I now substitute Dijon mustard for the egg. The mustard will also emulsify the sauce. If you like, you can also finished with a sweet based sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking.

I would first butterfly the chickens, then fully separate them into halves, and place one chicken per rack. Apply about 1:40 - 2:00 hours of smoke at 225°F and move to the grill. Maple, apple, cherry are good for chicken, even pecan and oak works well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)