Ratios for cure to seasoning?

Started by donavan, June 19, 2009, 03:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donavan

I've made bacon a few times now and I keep getting better but I'm having difficulty imparting flavors beyond what the cure gives.  I'm about to the point where I'm considering a 50/50 mix of cure to seasoning so I thought I'd check here...

Obviously different spices require different amounts to impart their flavors but is there a rule of thumb?  Do I risk screwing with the curing process by adding to many other seasonings?  Should I extend the cure time to compensate?

FLBentRider

IMHO - there is an amount of cure that is needed per pound (or gram) of meat. Additional flavors are up to you as long as you have the right amount of cure.

I have experimented with different amounts of things like brown sugar and such.

I really have not got the flavor as strong as I want it either. Perhaps vac sealing it with the flavor agent after smoking may impart the flavor level you are looking for.

I have not tried that yet.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

It's hard to respond when it is unknown as to what you are currently doing. Such as what is your current recipe you are using; and what type of bacon; belly, Canadian, buck board etc. Are you using a dry cure, or a brine (pickle)?

FLB is correct; as long as you apply the correct amount of cure. If you increase the other seasonings and you are curing more then one cut of bacon, I would measure the cure that is required for each cut your are curing and mix the batches separately, and apply all of it to ensure you have enough cure in the amount you apply to your cut.

Also some seasoning are water soluble, and others are only soluble in oils. Those that are oil soluble will not be drawn into the meat as the  cure works it way through.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

donavan

Right now I'm curing:

• Southwest Bacon: brown sugar, salt, cumin, chipotle pepper, and of course pink salt
  • Honey Ginger Bacon: brown sugar, salt, honey, ginger and pink salt
  • Garam Masala Bacon: garam masala and MTQ
  • Play It Safe Bacon: brown sugar, salt, pure maple syrup, and pink salt

Hopefully one or more of these will be a tasty...  Bacon camp comes to my neck of the woods August 1st.

Habanero Smoker

I'm guessing the bacon is being made from pork belly, and guessing you are using a dry cure.

Most seasoning in the Southwest, garam masala are mainly oil soluble. One way to boost the flavors is to cure them in a pickle. When you make the pickle (wet brine); take the seasonings and about one cup of water used in the pickle and place it in a blender. Blend until seasoning are well mixed. Add that to the rest of you pickling solution. Then inject the meat with 10% of the solution, and place meat in the pickle, make sure it is fully submerge and cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

donavan

Yeah I'm using dry cures.  I've thought about pickling but everything i'd read to date indicated it resulted in LESS flavor not more.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: donavan on June 20, 2009, 05:20:25 PM
Yeah I'm using dry cures.  I've thought about pickling but everything i'd read to date indicated it resulted in LESS flavor not more.

Quote from: donavan on June 20, 2009, 05:20:25 PM
Yeah I'm using dry cures.  I've thought about pickling but everything i'd read to date indicated it resulted in LESS flavor not more.

I haven't found that. By injection you are injecting all flavors directly into the meat; though I mostly dry cure do to limited refrigerator space.

Let us know how your bacon turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.