Look what I found!

Started by ragweed, August 31, 2013, 06:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

My little neighborhood G-store had T-bones for $5.99/lb.!  So I figured I had to fight the weather and get some hickory on them.  So...early, early, while the air temp was a cool 77 F, I put them in the OBS with a dozen hard boiled eggs.  Removed my "heat sink" brick and put the two "polar packs" Pike's Market sent with my salmon on the bottom rack.  After two hours of smoke, the sun was just coming up and the OBS temp had just hit 90 F.  Most of the smoke was at 80 F.

The steaks are wrapped in plastic, resting for a few days.  And the eggs?  Well, their numbers are dwindling.  ;)

Tenpoint5

That should be a couple good meals
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SiFumar

Can't pass up a deal like that! Gunna be good tasting!

beefmann

devo

ragweed
Those are some very nice T-Bones. I see you cold smoked them and said the average temp was 80 F
QuoteMost of the smoke was at 80 F
So I have been wondering about this kind of cold smoking for some time now. We all know the food temperature danger zone is between 40 and 140 F.
So leaving whole meat for over an hour in the danger zone is OK? I know a lot of my books say no but I thought I would throw this out there for other members to comment on. I am wondering by putting the steaks in the freezer kills any salmonella and E. coli or does it just go dormant ? And if it goes dormant, does cooking it at high temps kill off the Bacteria? Not trying to scare anybody here but I been wondering about this cold smoking steaks for some time.

iceman

Quote from: devo on August 31, 2013, 11:41:13 AM
ragweed
Those are some very nice T-Bones. I see you cold smoked them and said the average temp was 80 F
QuoteMost of the smoke was at 80 F
So I have been wondering about this kind of cold smoking for some time now. We all know the food temperature danger zone is between 40 and 140 F.
So leaving whole meat for over an hour in the danger zone is OK? I know a lot of my books say no but I thought I would throw this out there for other members to comment on. I am wondering by putting the steaks in the freezer kills any salmonella and E. coli or does it just go dormant ? And if it goes dormant, does cooking it at high temps kill off the Bacteria? Not trying to scare anybody here but I been wondering about this cold smoking steaks for some time.

An hour of cold smoke is ok. If any bacteria forms on the surface of the steak the high heat during cooking will take care of it. Ground meat is a whole different ball game.  ;)