Smoking Lake Trout and Walleye

Started by banff_springs, August 31, 2013, 07:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banff_springs

Lots of topics but seem to be missing some key info with regards to smoking fish.  I have a large Lake Trout and Walleye soaking in a Brown sugar, garlic, water, salt brine.  Filet's will have been soaking for 24-hours as of tomorrow morning.  I'd greatly appreciate anyone who can clearly (within reason) set me straight;

1. What temperature should I use;
2. Which flavour of wood should I use;
3. How long to actually smoke the meat at; and
4. For how long.

Would certainly appreciate positive feedback.

Thanks and Cheers.. 8)

Saber 4

I'm no fish smoker, but I'll bet the fish experts will be along as soon as they log on, of course it's a holiday weekend down here so they may be a little slower in responding than usual. Have you searched the fish section on the recipe site http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php, the answer's you seek may be there.

jjmoney

I have a thread up about lake trout, I'll describe what I do.

Season them up with whatever kind of rub you want for at least 12 hours, not more than 24 I'd say.

Preheat to 120. Load the fish in and let it sit for at least an hour or until the smoker comes up to temperature. This helps it dry out a little and gets the smoker going.

Roll your smoke - I use mostly apple with a little hickory. I find it works ok to use 2 hours at the start and then give it another 2 pucks near the end.

So, keep it at 120 for about 3 hours. Then increase to 140 for 2ish hours. Then increase to 175 for 2-3 hours - the point of the end part is to cook the fish and drive some moisture out of it. It's up to you how much or how little smoke to add - I find the smoke flavor doesn't take very well when the fish is wet, so I usually give it an extra shot near the end. I also sometimes take it to the oven and spread the racks out and give it an hour or so at 175 to ensure it's all cooked and has come up to temperature. Let it cool a little after that and then bag it. The moisture will redistribute in the bag and they will all end up at about the same moisture content. I think it keeps better and longer if it's a little drier.

I am working my way through eating and sharing a batch of thai style - lemongrass, garlic, ginger, lime leaf, thai basil, fish sauce, sugar, turmeric (also a preservative), coconut milk, and habaneros.

Just do a couple batches and you'll find what you like best. I encourage you to experiment with flavorings, especially asian ones. Your friends will have never had anything like it.

banff_springs

Sounds like I start out low heat and then slowly increase.  Now I have a starting point.  Most of the methods I am seeing also seem to call for a "drying" period of 3-4 hours after removed from brine,....is this something you also practice or do you pull right out of the brine, pat dry and then start the smoking process?.....most people seem to be using alder or hickory...will start with that and play with it.  Once I find a solid brine....I'll find a solid smoke combo.  Will try and smoke the first 2-3 hours, turn off and then smoke the last 1-2 hours and see how it turns out.  Not looking for perfection right out of the box as they say but, I'd at least like to come close so I knew I was headed/heading down the right direction.

Appreciate the feedback.

Tenpoint5

The drying time after the brine is to form a pellice. A dry surface for the smoke to adhere to. You want your fish to be tacky to the touch. The ramping of the temps is important to keep the fats and oils IN the fish and not on top like a bigol bugger
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

banff_springs

Makes sense for the drying time.  Good to know about the "tackiness" of the meat.  Would explain the difference in timings for some people.  Definitely starting to make sense now.  I have taken fish out of brine, pat-dry and now have it drying in an elevated position.  Sadly, due to space constraints, it's drying on countertop.....no choice.....Will keep an eye on tackiness and prepare smoker accordingly.

Thanks