Oven Probe Placement

Started by MoHuka, August 28, 2013, 03:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoHuka

I have been putting the PID and Maverick oven probes close to each other on the bottom side of the lowest rack above the heat shield. (digital 6-rack)  If I only have 1 or 2 racks of meat on higher shelves, I will put a rack in the lowest position just to hold the probes

Is this correct?

Thanks....
MoSmoker

Tenpoint5

Probes should be right under the meat to get an accurate reading of the temps the meat is actually sitting in
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

MoHuka

Ok thanks Ten Point....what if I have all 6 racks full?..this is the case when I make Jerky for example
MoSmoker

Tenpoint5

Quote from: MoHuka on August 28, 2013, 08:07:11 AM
Ok thanks Ten Point....what if I have all 6 racks full?..this is the case when I make Jerky for example

Again place the probe under the meat. With 6 racks full remember to rotate top to bottom and front to back

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

MoHuka

Thanks TenPoint.....I was trying to convince myself that it made more sense to control the temp from the middle of the tower to average temps rather than the bottom just above the heat shield....
MoSmoker

Tenpoint5

Probe placement above the meat will be affected by the moisture coming out of the meat. Thus giving incorrect readings. Vapor cooling

MoHuka

MoSmoker