horseradish powder

Started by Mani, August 21, 2013, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mani

Hi,

I found a batch of horseradish while out cycling; have dug it up and going to pop it in the dehydrator to make a powder.

Has anyone used it in a rub before?  Was it successful?

Habanero Smoker

I have some I purchased. I have made a rub for a salmon, but it didn't turn out the way that I would have liked. I have quite a bit of it, so I generally use it in a variety of sauces. In sauces it works great, and I find mixing the powder with a little warm water before adding to the sauce helps the powder to blend in easier. Penzey's suggest you add it to your favorite meatloaf recipe, or hamburger mix.

When you get around to grinding it down to powder, I would do that outdoors.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mani

Thanks for that...

I was going to attempt all aspects of this process with goggles and outdoors!

Made the last mistake of grating the the horseradish indoors last time... never again!

Habanero Smoker

If you have any or come across any interesting rubs with horseradish powder, please share.

Your post reminded me that some years back someone gave me a Wasabi Crusted Asian Cajun Rubz, by Cugino's. Yesterday I found it, and it states that it is good on all meats and fish. It appears to be a high heat rub (crust), because the directions indicate to broil, bake or grill the meat. I went to their website and they don't make it anymore. I may give it a try on a pork loin

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)