Digital Bradley

Started by DEMAN, May 26, 2006, 06:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMAN

Hi all. Long time since I visited or posted here. It feels good to be back.

I am becoming famous in my circle of friends and aquaintances for my smoked "Holy trinity" (briskets, pulled porks and ribs) thanks to my original SS Bradley. I have a couple of buds that have also purchased them since trying some of my recipes but they haven't gotten into it like I have.

This forum has made the difference between the most succesful BBQ's ever and complete failures. The hints and recipes in here, a little common sense, and a flair for adventure has enabled me to introduce previously unknown southern type BBQ to my friends....and they LOVE it!!

Anyways...enuf BS...I was in picking up some flavor bisquettes and some jerky cure from the place I got my Bradley from and happened to see the new digital!!! I of course rushed home to see what you all thought about it. Alas...there is not a lot of actual user info available here yet. I think the fact it would keep the inside temp at a fairly constant level would make it my best friend for the overnight brisket and butt smokes!! I think I am going to add one to my arsenal tomorrow.

Just a heads up for any of you smokers in western Canada. Check out the prices in Wholesale Sports if you are near one.(Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Saskatoon and Winipeg) I think they may have mis-priced the digitals and I am going to grab one before they figure it out!! http://www.wholesalesports.com/camping/bradley.htm

TomG

Careful, BS may be dumping the digitals ??? ???

DEMAN

WHAAAT????

where did you get the info???

Deman NEEDS to know ::)

TomG

Read the threads on posters experiences with the new digitals ;)

manxman

Unfortunately some of the most useful information was lost regarding the digital models when a member deleted some of their own posts making the topic non-sensical.

Before buying a digital model I would give Chez Bubba a ring and talk to him as there were some inherant problems with both models, you could not cook beyond 9+ hours for example although the 4 rack model attracted less negative and some positive comments compared to the 6 rack model.

I would add I have no experience of either, just second hand information which is why I would suggest talking to Kirk who can give you up to date information before you part with your hard earned cash!

Also see:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3304.msg30058#msg30058
Manxman

Oldman

I did not see anything negative about the 4 rack unit. That poster was a person who had originally purchased a 6 rack unit and was very upset about it, so they refunded her the purchase price and she got a 4 rack digital that she posted good things about.

Problems / complaints as I remember them were :

1.) Huge temp swings. (It looks like the controller was not a PID unit.)
2.) Unit turned itself off at 9 hours 40 minutes.
3.) Very poor documentation.
4.) No Tech support--unit was to new.

That person is no longer a member here--at least not under that name.  Her complains became rants, and after awhile a few us call her down on it.  Then her rants became more personal. Then her rants became threats. With myself being threatened that she would have me removed from the boards.  :o Then she E-mail other long time members for support, and that did not work. In fact below is in part of an E-mail I received from one such member.

QuoteSomeone pointed that out to me yesterday. I noticed he was logged on during the morning hours of 5/22. The other day I learned that you could send and receive PMs. When I went into mine I had several from the rat. The last one was dated 5/21, in which he stated he had been treated unfairly, and that he was again going to e-mail Martin and Kirk to get you off the board. Maybe after ranting to Martin he got kicked off. Like you suspect I think he joined under another name or just lurks. I'm still trying to figure out what you said to him that made you the target. MW's and my posts where brutal compare to anything you stated to him.

His presence on the board use to give me headaches, but for some reason I felt sorry for the pathetic a*&hole.

There was one other member here name OmegaMan who also had / has a 6 rack unit. He was not happy either. His posting were very sound and objective, but somehow (I not sure how) he got caught up into the noise and has since stopped posting.  You might E-mail him and ask him for his option Click Here To E-mail OmegaMan.

So anyway welcome back and now that you are up to speed of events of just late I would call Kirk, (ChezBubba) he has the unit that our ex-member complained about. He has used it, and I believe he is working closely with Bradley concerning these issues. His phone number is listed at the bottom of his website: ;D Chez Bubba's House Of Smoke  ;D

Until Bradley resolves these issue my take is to stay with your standard unit, put in a circulation fan, a controller (PID or Contact on/ off unit.) While you were gone I opened up a private thread concerning the Circulation Fan Here. If your box is stock (no extra heating elements) then this fan will balance out your box temp top to bottom within 2 degrees.

Again welcome back.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

OmegaMan

QuoteThere was one other member here name OmegaMan who also had / has a 6 rack unit. He was not happy either. His posting were very sound and objective, but somehow (I not sure how) he got caught up into the noise and has since stopped posting.  You might E-mail him and ask him for his option Click Here To E-mail OmegaMan.

I'm here, I just took a break to let the air clear...  I'll answer questions people have in regards to my 6 rack digital...

Pat

manxman

QuoteI did not see anything negative about the 4 rack unit.

The "negative" I was referring to about the 4 rack dirital model was the fact it turned itself off after 9hrs 40 minutes, something inherant in both 6 rack and 4 rack digital models from my understanding. Other than that the comments seemed to err on the positive. ;)
Manxman

Oldman

QuoteI'm here, I just took a break to let the air clear... 
I'm sure glad you are here. For a while there I was concerned that we had lost a level headed thinking member to a bottomless quagmire.

If I did anything to have insulted you or questioned your honesty it was not my intent. If so, I extend my hand and ask that you accept my apology.

QuoteThe "negative" I was referring to about the 4 rack digital model was the fact it turned itself off after 9hrs 40 minutes
Ummm I must have missed that. Between us chickens and the gate post that time limit would never have been an issue for me once I knew about it. I would have gotten ticked off the first time as I believe there was no documentation concern it.  After that at the four hour water change out I would have just re-set the unit.

What I have not understood is the lack of a circulation fan. Come-on... for 40 bucks in parts! Plus the parts I used will out last 5 bradley units.  No one can tell me that for another 10 bucks in parts and labor Bradley could not have added a fan to the unit given it is made in China.

The heck with that controller, put a fan in it.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

QuoteThe heck with that controller, put a fan in it.

A lot of people will agree with you on that score Olds.

And Omegaman, nice to see you back posting.  :D
Manxman

rhodhse

Although I am not a long time forum writer, I have had a regular BS for several years.  When The new digitals hit the market I was very excited and purchased a 4 rack.  The temp. swings I read about in the forum were when the smoker was empty...Radiant heat needs objects....When I fired up my new digital I seasoned it while checking the temp. with a Maverick and I saw the swings, smoker empty, referred to in other postings.  When I loaded the smoker up with meat it kept the temp. right on the money with the Maverick, plus or minus 2 degrees.  There has been one problem and that is the power plug in the back of the smoke generator, and after a brief call to Bradley they are shipping a replacement.  My experience with the digital is very positive.  The temp sensor is no longer a thermometer on the door, but in the back in a very good location and can effectively monitor the oven temp without the Maverick.  Don't open the door.  My take is that the digital cost is the right value.  One cannot expect Guru Raptor $500 control for the limited increase in the Bradley Digital price.  I think you get what you pay for...If you buy a smoker and add a fan, add a more sophisticated controller then you probably have something that is superior to the Bradley Digital, but you paid for it.  In my book, smoking doesn't need to be a science project, but a time to relax, drink some refreshments, and be with friends...and eat great smoked food.  No offense to anyone.... 

manxman

QuoteIn my book, smoking doesn't need to be a science project, but a time to relax, drink some refreshments, and be with friends...and eat great smoked food.  No offense to anyone.... 

Agree with you 100% rhodhse, making smoking into a science rather than an art spoils a lot of the enjoyment IMHO.

Nice to see a positive post regarding the (4 rack) digital model. :)
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: manxman on May 30, 2006, 11:50:14 AM
QuoteIn my book, smoking doesn't need to be a science project, but a time to relax, drink some refreshments, and be with friends...and eat great smoked food.  No offense to anyone.... 

Agree with you 100% rhodhse, making smoking into a science rather than an art spoils a lot of the enjoyment IMHO.

Nice to see a positive post regarding the (4 rack) digital model. :)
I think I saw somewhere in one of the smoking bible cook books that rule number one was "HAVE FUN AND ENJOY YOUR COMPANY". Also in the trouble shooting section it kept refering back to "RULE NUMBER ONE".
Sounds like easy enough advise to follow. I know I sure try. ;D ;D ;D :D Heck, get as complicated as you want as long as you follow "RULE NUMBER ONE".

Habanero Smoker

I enjoy the combination of both science and fun. To me food science is fun. Just ask Bill Nye, or Alton Brown ;)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 30, 2006, 01:37:20 PM
I enjoy the combination of both science and fun. To me food science is fun. Just ask Bill Nye, or Alton Brown ;)
Didn't your momma ever tell you to quit playing with your food Hab? :D ;D Just kidding buddy. I remember sitting out at the grill once with 20 pounds of rib eyes and cooking each one a different way just to test every ones theories out. Ann just about killed me but the neighbors sure liked it. ::)