Thanklsging turkey

Started by cathouse willy, September 20, 2013, 07:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

I'm really fond of smoked turkey and near as fond of stuffing cooked in the bird.Here's the plan, prepare the turkey and smoke at 250 or what ever the old bradley will reach. After 2 hrs of hot smoking stuff with refrigerated pre made stuffing and cook in a med/ hot oven till done. Anyone see a danger with this? I don't want to poison anyone but the smoked stuffed turkey is a quest.

Saber 4

The only suggestion I would have would be to make the stuffing fresh while the turkey is smoking so that it's fresh and hot when it goes in the hot bird and doesn't take a chance of bringing the temp of the bird down with cold stuffing, other than that I think you've found a good work around to having smoked and stuffed. If I'm wrong I'm sure the more experienced and knowledgeable members will correct me.

And by the way I love the beer bread recipe I found that you had posted some time ago. I'm not sure if it originated with you but we love it, I do have a question about it though, do you put the dough on a floured board and give a quick knead before it goes in the pan, it seems like I either didn't mix it well enough or I needed to knead it. (say that 5 times fast)

KyNola

I 100% agree with Robert.  I would not want to put cold stuffing in a turkey that has been in the Bradley for a couple of hours.  You are definitely going to impede the temp rising in the turkey that is still within the danger zone.  I would also question the stuffing being properly cooked by the time the turkey has completed cooking thereby increasing the risk of food poisoning from the bacteria still living in the stuffing.  In short, I wouldn't do it.

Of course, Robert and I are amateurs and people much smarter than us will come along to properly advise you.   

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on September 21, 2013, 07:41:03 AM
I 100% agree with Robert.  I would not want to put cold stuffing in a turkey that has been in the Bradley for a couple of hours.  You are definitely going to impede the temp rising in the turkey that is still within the danger zone.  I would also question the stuffing being properly cooked by the time the turkey has completed cooking thereby increasing the risk of food poisoning from the bacteria still living in the stuffing.  In short, I wouldn't do it.

Of course, Robert and I are amateurs and people much smarter than us will come along to properly advise you.   

Larry, do you think an extra probe in the middle of the stuffing would help to let him know that it's up to temp or do you just think the turkey would finish in the oven faster than the stuffing would be finished. The reason I ask is I make stuffing like my grandmother taught us and I use homemade turkey broth that has been brought up to temp and simmering for awhile before I mix it with the dry ingredient's which leaves me wondering if that would kill potential bacteria in the stuffing? Of course I defer to the experts on this.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on September 21, 2013, 07:41:03 AM

Ditto with Larry.

I dont care what the certified masters say either.

Ka Honu

By the time the stuffing gets to a safe temp (165), the bird will likely be way overcooked. Either do the dressing separate or prepare two turkeys, one smoked and the other stuffed and roasted.

cathouse willy

Quote from: Saber 4 on September 20, 2013, 07:36:17 PM

And by the way I love the beer bread recipe I found that you had posted some time ago. I'm not sure if it originated with you but we love it, I do have a question about it though, do you put the dough on a floured board and give a quick knead before it goes in the pan, it seems like I either didn't mix it well enough or I needed to knead it. (say that 5 times fast)

Because there's no yeast it relies on the baking powder and beer fizz to make it rise so the less handling the better. My dough is usually a bit wet and sticky  It's my recipe shamelessly stolen from the internet...here's the link
http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440

Saber 4

Thanks for the link, I'll have to spend some time looking at the recipes there.

Habanero Smoker

If you use a stuffing that is at room temperature, as Saber 4 suggested, and finish it in the kitchen oven at 350 - 375°F, your plan is safe. Though I agree with Ka Huna. By the time the stuffing is at 165°F, your turkey may be over cooked; especially the breast.

Another way of getting your stuffing to taste as though it was cooked inside the cavity, is to use the drippings from the turkey with some low sodium chicken broth in your stuffing mixture and cook the stuffing separately. The stuffing may take around 40 minutes to bake, so you will need to collect the drippings about 20 - 30 minutes before you expect the turkey to be finished.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 23, 2013, 02:27:02 AM
If you use a stuffing that is at room temperature, as Saber 4 suggested, and finish it in the kitchen oven at 350 - 375°F, your plan is safe. Though I agree with Ka Huna. By the time the stuffing is at 165°F, your turkey may be over cooked; especially the breast.

Another way of getting your stuffing to taste as though it was cooked inside the cavity, is to use the drippings from the turkey with some low sodium chicken broth in your stuffing mixture and cook the stuffing separately. The stuffing may take around 40 minutes to bake, so you will need to collect the drippings about 20 - 30 minutes before you expect the turkey to be finished.

Likes this idea