What is ECA ?

Started by oldsmoker, September 11, 2013, 04:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsmoker

What is ECA and what dose it do. Also where do you get it.  Thanks all.
OLDSMOKER

BAM1

encapsulated citric acid.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OldSMOKER on September 11, 2013, 04:32:08 PM
What is ECA and what dose it do. Also where do you get it.  Thanks all.

Adds tang to sausage without the need for fermenting with bactoferm. If you have a Bass Pro near you they sell it if not you can buy online at Sausage maker, allied kenco, butcher & packer.

Saber 4

Glad you asked I bought some at Bass Pro when I picked up my Cure #1 just because I thought I might need it.

Tenpoint5

You use 1 level teaspoon per pound of meat. Mix into meat right before stuffing
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 12, 2013, 02:28:54 PM
Some of my recipes don't use that much.  I only put 1 TBLS (3 tsp) of ECA my 5lb snack stix recipe.  ;D  Just sayin

Never grind meat that has the ECA mixed in.  It will break the capsulation and you will not be happy with the results.   :o

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Sailor on September 15, 2013, 07:34:52 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 12, 2013, 02:28:54 PM
Some of my recipes don't use that much.  I only put 1 TBLS (3 tsp) of ECA my 5lb snack stix recipe.  ;D  Just say

Your recipes may say to use less. However the directions on the package say to use as I directed. Individual tastes may call for more or less, but when responding to a question like this. I tend to go with the manufacturer recommended amounts.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

ECA Info

ENCAPSULATED CITRIC ACID: Use encapsulated citric acid when making summer sausage or snack sticks and that distinctive "tang", associated with reduce pH, is desired but the lengthy fermentation cycle is not. When used correctly, it is almost impossible to tell if the sausage was manufactured by fermentation or by the use of this product. There is no need to worry about processing under special conditions. You just add the citric acid to the meat at end of the mixing process (making sure that you do not grind meat again), and then blend into the meat by hand or by mixer. If using a meat mixer, mix only until the encapsulated citric acid is blended into the meat mix, usually about one minute is sufficient. Longer mixing can cause the capsules to rupture resulting in the premature release of the citric acid.

Encapsulated citric acid is citric acid, a naturally occurring acid, that has been encapsulated (coated) with maltodexrine, a hydrogenated vegetable oil, which will melt at 135 degrees F. releasing the citric acid into the meat product. This prevents the citric acid from releasing and prematurely lowering the ph of your sausage meat mix. If the meat's ph drops before the protein sets at 105-115 degrees you will get a negative effect on the texture of your finished sausage. It won't bind as well and the texture will be crumbly.
Encapsulated citric acid should be added and mixed in after the grinding is complete as not to rupture the capsules. Since the encapsulation prevents release into the meat until the meat's internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F. a ruptured or damaged capsule will release the citric acid prematurely causing the undesired affects listed above.
Once the capsule is melted releasing the citric acid into the product decrease in pH is achieved resulting in the distinctive "tang" or sour taste associated with reduced pH products.
Suggested usage for this purpose is 3 oz. for 25 lb. of meat
Also use to preserve color of fresh sausage during storage. Use 1/2 oz. to 1 oz. per 100 lb. of meat for this purpose.

NOTE: Too much Citric Acid will cause the meat to turn white.