cleaning smoker

Started by murrhunts, September 13, 2013, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murrhunts

Does anyone clean the inside of there smoker or do you just let the smoke build up?  I clean things like the bowl and pan.

Saber 4

I clean the racks, v-tray, puck bowl and tray, I don't clean the inside of the cabinet except to make sure the door seal is clean. If I saw a build up of grease/fat instead of just smoke I would definitely clean that up. I'm sure others will be along with their methods and opinions for you to choose from.

Habanero Smoker

I wouldn't call this cleaning, but maybe it falls in the category of maintenance. :) The seasoning can build up on the ceiling, inside door and walls to the point that it will begin to flake away from the surface. When this happens the flakes can separate from the surfaces and fall on your food; causing a black rain effect. When I notice this build up I will crumple a few sheets of newspaper and "scrub" the ceiling, walls and inside door surface to dislodge these particles.

I will also clean my generator and bisquette burner at least once a year. Sometimes twice, depending on how often I use it.
Cleaning the generator

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

murrhunts

beefmann

i do a  cleaning most  every  time on my  smoker especially cleaning /  removing any  grease build up, any flakes or build up from  smoking along  with  the racks and  v tray  each  smoke, it helps  to keep   down the  chance of  fires 

Saber 4

I haven't had mine long enough to get the flakes yet, but now I know to keep an eye out for them and how to remove, Thanks

Indy Smoker

One a year I wipe with crumpled newspaper and take my air compressor to blow out anything loose. Haven't cleaned the smoke generator yet - anyone have instructions for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

pensrock

QuoteHaven't cleaned the smoke generator yet - anyone have instructions for that?
Read Habs post, he has a link to the instructions.

TedEbear

I try to minimize the buildup of foreign matter in the SG by shaking the pucks before putting them in the tube to get rid of any loose particles.  Every once in a while I'll take a putty knife and scrape off the area near the puck burner. 

Earlier today I did that plus took a Scotch-Brite pad and scrubbed the puck burner a bit.  Then I rinsed everything off with a garden hose, trying to be very careful about where the water went.  I let it all dry out in the sun for a few hours before starting my pork butt smoke session a few minutes ago.  Everything seems to be working okay.