Ok, now I'm really worried!

Started by Dave Schmidt, July 04, 2004, 04:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Schmidt

Ok, its only my 2nd time smoking and I'm doing a 5.5 lb Brisket and 2 really large slabs of Ribs.
I'm a nervous wreck! 4th of July dinner will either be amazing or a disaster.
Any tips are greatly appreciated.
PS I plan on pulling the Ribs out after 3.5 hours. letting them rest, and then a quick shot on the grill with some BBQ sauce. (Sound OK?)

The meat has been in the smoker for 3 hours now, and the Brisket internal temp is already 176! THe Smoker is at 200.
Am I on track, or will the meat be done in an hour? Yikes!

Dave Schmidt

Well, I just pulled the Ribs out of the Smoker, and tasted a little piece of the meat off the rack... Hot Damn Tamale! Deeeelicious! :)

Dave Schmidt

Ok, this Brisket is making me nutty. Now the internal temp is down to 168! How can it go down? This is like a Lab experiment! ;)

Fuzzybear

you opened the door!  nothing acts faster in reducing temps than opening the door on the Bradley.....patience man, patience!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

BigSmoker

I would check my polder after this cook and make sure its accurate.
Fuzzybears right no peaking[:D]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Dave Schmidt

Well folks, here's the results...
Ribs were outstanding! I finished them on the grill for about 15 minutes with a little sauce on them. I used Stubbs, which actually I don't think was a good match. It should have been a milder sweeter sauce.

THe Brisket was taken out at 190 internal and left to rest for about an hour or so. Was really tasty, sliced nice, but was a little dry. Not real dry, but not juicy like I was really hoping for.
Any suggestions on how to use/reheat the Brisket and make it juicier?

Thanks all!

PS I only opened the door because I had to take the Ribs out after 3.5 hours.
Dave

BigSmoker

To heat the brisket again IMHO, low and slow.  I would mix up some beef broth or buy a can, heat very low in oven or microwave on low reheat.  I have a setting on my wave that is reheat/low/moist glad it turned out pretty good.  Next time for slicing try 185 and 1hr rest seems to stay juicer that way for me.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.