Makin Bacon

Started by smokerator, September 22, 2013, 08:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokerator

How long can I expect my smoked bacon last? Just me and my wife. She fears it will go bad before it all gets eaten.

What is the best way to store it so it will last the longest?

Mike aka Smokerator
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

devo

Mike
I make about 40 lbs at once and than vac seal it. Throw that into the freezer and its good for many months. I find I have to make bacon at least once every three months and I live alone  :o :o :o

So unless you don't eat much bacon I would say vac seal it and freeze it, if not start giving some away. I will send you my address later if you decide to give it away  ;D

Saber 4

Even frozen it doesn't last long around here with just the 2 of us, but like devo said if you're worried about it I'll be happy to send you my address. It is so good you can get creative with it, grind some up with your ground beef and make meatloaf or hamburgers, any thing wrapped in bacon is good, I've even seen someone cook it, spice it up and dip it in chocolate so you can't go wrong with bacon. Just let us know what new things you come up with so we can try them also.

beefmann

i have had bacon frozen for 6  months... generally it  doesent  last that  long  like others  have said

Grouperman941

Yup, slice and store in portion-size packages.

I actually store in 1 lb packs, which gives us fresh bacon for a few days when I defrost some.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Saber 4

Quote from: Grouperman941 on September 23, 2013, 09:01:36 AM

I actually store in 1 lb packs, which gives us fresh bacon for a few days when I defrost some.

You mean you have bacon left with just 1 pound? lol :D

Grouperman941

Quote from: Saber 4 on September 23, 2013, 01:05:52 PM

A little self control, and a little that a pound of homemade bacon goes a lot further than a pound of store-bought. I used to have to make 2 lbs of Oscar-Mayer for the four of us to get enough bacon. Now, if I cook a pound of mine, we get plenty and have some left.

Saber 4

Quote from: Grouperman941 on September 23, 2013, 03:24:58 PM

A little self control, and a little that a pound of homemade bacon goes a lot further than a pound of store-bought. I used to have to make 2 lbs of Oscar-Mayer for the four of us to get enough bacon. Now, if I cook a pound of mine, we get plenty and have some left.

You definitely get more bang for the buck with homemade bacon, we just don't have any self control so I have to package in single meal sizes or we cook and eat it all in one sitting. :)

Grouperman941

Quote from: Saber 4 on September 23, 2013, 05:19:05 PM
Quote from: Grouperman941 on September 23, 2013, 03:24:58 PM

You definitely get more bang for the buck with homemade bacon, we just don't have any self control so I have to package in single meal sizes or we cook and eat it all in one sitting. :)

It is absurd how much bacon I can eat, so I have to be careful. :-)

smokerator

Can someone suggest a few different kinds of wood.

Thanks

Mike aka Smokerator
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

Saber 4

I like Apple or Pecan for my bacon, Canadian Bacon, pork butts and the such and mesquite or hickory for brisket and heavier meats.

Grouperman941

I think my family liked apple best. Maple and hickory were good. My favorite so far has been Jim Beam Oak.