Saving Hog casings after first use

Started by Saber 4, September 22, 2013, 03:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

I remember seeing a discussion on what to do to preserve the leftover casings, I had to rinse and soak the whole package because they were so tangled up. Do I drain, squeeze the water out as best I can and salt them down with kosher salt, then vac seal??? Getting ready to grind and stuff 5 lbs of bratwurst then I need to save the casings.

devo

Yes to all the above. I keep mine in the crisper of my fridge. The will last for years

Saber 4

Habanero Smoker

A sealable freezer bag would work well also, and may make the casing easier to access then vacuum sealing. If by using the freezer bag, you get an odor in your refrigerator, place the bag containing the casings in a plastic sealable container.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Saber

Here is how i store my casings. This is a full hank. I use pure salt (pickling) and distilled water. Keep the casings submerged in the liquid.
Doing this way instead of vac sealing is allot less messy as you wont be pulling liquid into your sealer and there is NO ODOR in my fridge.

Saber 4

Thanks for all the great ideas, I put them in a Ziploc vac seal bag last night in the fridge, but I think I'll go with NePas idea when I make the next batch. It's not to big a deal now because it's only the small bag of Dewied casings that Hi Mtn puts in their kits.

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Habanero Smoker

One of the reasons I like purchasing my casing from Sausage Maker is that they package them in a plastic bag, and place that in a sealable plastic contain that either has a snap on lid or a screw on lid. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 23, 2013, 12:57:54 PM
One of the reasons I like purchasing my casing from Sausage Maker is that they package them in a plastic bag, and place that in a sealable plastic contain that either has a snap on lid or a screw on lid.
[/quote
Mine too!