the Easy Crusty Bread Experiment

Started by Snoopy, September 24, 2013, 09:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoopy

So, giving some variations a shot on the crusty bread. I made up a batch with just the first 4 ingredients and loved it so here it goes.

first though is my helper

then we have the players

from left to right we are doing
Chocolate chips (1/2 cup) and marshmallows (1 cup) with cinnamon and sugar in the dough and will be sprinkling on top before cooking

then the original jalapenos and cheese

3rd we've got garlic (2 tbs) and basil (1 tbs)

and finally at number 4 we are doing feta (6 oz) and chives (2 tbs i think, might have been 1, i blame the helper)

all mixed up and sitting for the night

Snoopy

oh and on the last 2 i will be sprinkling some parm on top after i pull the lid off

Saber 4

They all sound great, I thought about adding sugar to my cinnamon bread but I wasn't sure how that would effect the yeast so I will be interested in how that turns out. As I read your combo's and got to the feta and chives I couldn't help but think how good that would be with some fresh crumbled bacon mixed in as well. Looking forward to the progress reports.

Snoopy

Looks like it rose ok, that was the first one going  in. About 30 mins left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Snoopy

Forgot the pic

Snoopy

So here's the s'mores.

It looks like the bottom might have burnt a little bit, and it was stuck in the enamel Dutch oven had to pry it out. And it may have permanently stained the bottom of the Dutch oven, I may have been able to clean it out but have 3 more loaves to go, probably should have done this one last.

Snoopy

So broke into the s'mores and it tastes like chocolate bread, not bad but not the flavor I was going for.

The jalapeƱo cheese flattened out on me but still looks good

Snoopy

Oh saber I thought about doing some bacon but forgot to pick some up. Heck I think bacon would go good in all 4.

Snoopy

And the last 3

Saber 4

Quote from: Snoopy on September 25, 2013, 02:13:56 PM
Oh saber I thought about doing some bacon but forgot to pick some up. Heck I think bacon would go good in all 4.

They all look good and you're right bacon goes good on everything, what was off on the smores bread that you commented on?

I just picked this up at Williams-Sonoma in Dallas to make longer crusty bread loafs, you might want to look at it to.
http://www.breadtopia.com/store/oblong-la-cloche.html

Snoopy

it just has a chocolate flavor to it, marshmellow just melted into it i think, the other flavors didn't really come through. overall it's a decent taste but not something ill do again. it's not bad, but it ended up baking into the bottom of the dutch oven to where the clean up is gonna suck i think. pulled the last loaf and had to run to work.

Snoopy

and thanks, just ordered it. went through amazon, product was a couple dollars more but i've got prime right now so in the end cost me less then shipping from the site.

Saber 4

Quote from: Snoopy on September 25, 2013, 06:49:24 PM
and thanks, just ordered it. went through amazon, product was a couple dollars more but i've got prime right now so in the end cost me less then shipping from the site.

Cool, I think pz was going to get one also, We leave for Paducah KY tomorrow for the BBQ on the River and when I get back I'm going to start making some bread in mine to see how it goes, you should try the beer bread recipe also it's easy and quick and so good.

If you're dutch oven is real bad you might soak it in a mix of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, my wife found that somewhere and it's worked real well on our burned out cookie sheets and stuff so it might work good on the dutch oven if you can't get it clean any other way. I got the stoneware because I didn't like using all the flour in my cast iron dutch oven it looked like it could ruin the seasoning and I'd have to start over with it.

pz

Yes, even without Prime, Amazon is still cheaper because of the free shipping = should be a great bread baker!
My online cookbook: good food & friends