Pork Sholder with Cherry Pomegranate Habanero Sauce Marinade ?

Started by Scotty Dog, September 27, 2013, 08:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty Dog

I purchased some Cherry Pomegranate Habanero Sauce from Costco and Vac Sealed it in with my pork shoulder for two days along with some red wine and garlic cloves stuffed into the meat, and now it is Smoke time.  My question to the board is:  Will this be enough of a marinade or do I need to also add a rub prior to going to the smoker?  I plan on 4 hours of smoke and basting the pork several times during the cook with the same sauce with an estimated cook time of 12 - 18 hours at 220.  I have used Jan's rub most of the time and very satisfied with the results.  This sauce is high in sugar and no salt.  Anyone have success with this type of sauce as a stand alone marinade for pulled pork?  I also enjoy making a wine reduction sauce with Merlot and Pork drippings that is fantastic with the previous Jan's Rub pulled pork.

Scott

Grouperman941

If it was me, I'd just let it ride with the sauce/marinade to see what it tastes like.

You can always season it after it's pulled if necessary.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Snoopy

i've got that sauce and love it. haven't tried smoking with it yet though, will follow to see how it turns out. I agree though, just roll on and see what happens.

Scotty Dog

Locked and Loaded for an all night ride with Pacific Northwest Blend Pucks.  I preheated the pork in the oven at 300 in a pan of marinade while I got my backup plan all seasoned up with rub.  Added three racks of chicken legs on the lower racks smothered in Jan's Rub as a backup for a Football Snack on Saturday.  I will pull the chicken after two hours of smoke and finish in the oven.  The Pork is in a shallow pan on the upper rack until the chicken is pulled.  I will remove the shoulder from the pan after the chicken is pulled to get more smoke on the lower half that is still slow cooking in the marinade. Pictures and results to follow.

Habanero Smoker

That sauce sounds great. I hope Costco has that same sauce here on the east coast. I will find out if they do tomorrow.

I may have used some salt and pepper, but since it will be pulled you can add that in later.

If I try this I'll think I inject.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Scotty Dog

Pork came out with a nice sticky cherry glaze.  I would say the end results for me, are not as nice as the salty crisp flavor of Jan's rub and the nice bark it produces.  I stuffed garlic cloves into the meat and it was not the best combination with the sweet cherry glaze.  I used four bottles of Merlot wine in my drip pan for a reduction sauce and finished the project in my slow cooker with the wine sauce I made from the drippings and wine reduction.  I smoked several onions and added them in the crock pot to simmer with the sauce and pork.  I would try this again with a salt / spice rub prior to the glaze.

Habanero Smoker

That looks really good. I didn't get a chance to stop at Costco yesterday, but this is definitely on my list of thing to cook.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tskeeter

Saber 4