Critique my Turkey Plan?

Started by pjplovedog, September 27, 2013, 10:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjplovedog

Hi all,
I want to do a brined/smoked/TBE Turkey, and I want feedback on my tentative plan for safety and tips.  Here is what I am considering:

Brine the whole turkey overnight- the brine I use does not have any pink salt nor other cure, just a basic sugar/salt/herbs/apple juice- rinse, dry and let it rise in room temp about 1 hour???
Put the bird into the Preheated Bradley - as high as it will go and apply about 2-3 hours of smoke.
Immediately transfer it to TBE and cook until safe IT is reached.
Let rest about 20 minutes at room temp.
Slice, eat...

Is this a safe plan? 
Thanks so much. 

devo

Yes, I have done that and also finished it in the Bradley. It took 6 hour in the Bradley for  a 13 lbs. turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Saber 4

Sounds like a good plan to me, I have done un brined turkey's spatchcocked in the Bradley in about 6 hours that were moist and tender with a great smoke flavor also.

iceman

Sort of do the same thing all the time.
I brine it in a simple brine over night, then rinse and dry it off. After that I inject it with cajun butter then into the smoker for two hours at 250f. Then finish in TBE.
Great way to do turkey.  :)

pondee

Thinking about doing the same, or similar, thing.  How dod yours work out?  Thanks

Quote from: pjplovedog on September 27, 2013, 10:45:19 AM
Hi all,
I want to do a brined/smoked/TBE Turkey, and I want feedback on my tentative plan for safety and tips.  Here is what I am considering:

Brine the whole turkey overnight- the brine I use does not have any pink salt nor other cure, just a basic sugar/salt/herbs/apple juice- rinse, dry and let it rise in room temp about 1 hour???
Put the bird into the Preheated Bradley - as high as it will go and apply about 2-3 hours of smoke.
Immediately transfer it to TBE and cook until safe IT is reached.
Let rest about 20 minutes at room temp.
Slice, eat...

Is this a safe plan? 
Thanks so much.

beefmann

sounds like a good plan to me.. go for it