Buckboard bacon

Started by Bagman, October 02, 2013, 11:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagman

Well this is my first attempt at BBB and my first attempt at inserting pictures. So far the BBB seems much easier! Am using Hi mountain seasoning on a 7.5 lb butt after boning . Will follow instructions to the letter and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

ragweed

Good luck.  You'll do fine.  I have to comment, though.  $0.87/lb!!!!!!  Here in NE that's an unheard of price.  They just went on "super sale" for $1.57/lb.  I'm jealous.

Bagman

Thought that would get some attention. It is from a sale back in May, my two sausage making buddy's and I bought 27 of them.  Same store has them for $1.29 lb this week, will get some more!
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

ragweed

Quote from: Bagman on October 02, 2013, 12:06:16 PM
Thought that would get some attention. It is from a sale back in May, my two sausage making buddy's and I bought 27 of them.  Same store has them for $1.29 lb this week, will get some more!

I hit a similar deal last Spring too.  But I paid about $1.25/lb.  I bought 12 of them, boned and cubed them, then vac sealed in 5lb packages all ready for sausage making.  Still have some left so I must not be making enough sausage!!

Bagman

Not enough sausage indeed!  These are packaged by Hormel and already vac sealed so we freeze them whole and make 25lb batches, works out close enough.

Saber 4

I love the price, I have used the HI Mtn BBB kit to do belly bacon and Canadian bacon and I don't think you'll have any issues and I'd bet you'll love the flavor also.

Bagman

My only real concern is that I've read about a to cold of a temperature in my fridge stopping the curing process. What temperature are others curing at and has anyone ever had the process stop on them?

Saber 4

Quote from: Bagman on October 02, 2013, 05:38:35 PM
My only real concern is that I've read about a to cold of a temperature in my fridge stopping the curing process. What temperature are others curing at and has anyone ever had the process stop on them?

I haven't had any problems in my fridge, if you're worried about it throw your remote probe thermometer in the fridge and see what temps your holding.

Bagman

Put a thermometer in and it showed about 35F

Saber 4

Quote from: Bagman on October 02, 2013, 06:04:09 PM
Put a thermometer in and it showed about 35F

Just did the same and mine is sitting strong at 40F and I haven't had any issues with my bacon's, although, 35F seems a little close to freezing to me but I couldn't find the post I remember seeing that gave the minimum temp for curing, hopefully one of the experts will chime in with that info for you.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Bagman on October 02, 2013, 05:38:35 PM

The following information is also true with brining. With any chemical reaction, the colder the environment the slower the chemicals reaction takes place. When curing with nitrites, nitrates or salt brining (wet or dry), ideally you want it at 40°F, or as close to that without it going any higher. The most common recommended temperature range is 38°F - 40°F. The colder the environment the longer it will take the meat to cure or brine. This is especially true when you cure has nitrates. The curing process will stop at around 28°F, which is the freezing point of meat. Though the additional salt may bring the freezing point down lower, 28°F is considered the freezing point.

Some times there will be cold spots in the refrigerator. When I would place foods in certain areas of my previous refrigerator the food near the back wall would partially freeze. Several members have had problems due to that, when they first started curing meats; such as whole or sections of the meat were not properly cured. Once you are aware of the cold spots, any problems can be easily over come; by overhauling the meat daily, and to move the meat to an area of the refrigerator that is "warmer".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

Thanks for re-posting Habs, I knew I had seen you put this out before but couldn't find it to refer to here.

Bagman

Took Saber4's advise and put my Maverick probe in next to the container and got a reading of 37F, much easier to read than the mercury fridge thermometer.  Checked front to back and side to side and no discernible differences.  I will consider this as close enough but give it a couple extra days to be sure.  I noticed a fair amount of liquid in the container after only 24 hrs so I assume that is a result of the curing process functioning properly.  I hate to be a worry wart but life has taught me that it is easier to avoid mistakes than to fix them.  Thanks for the advise and information, it is hard to make mistakes with the help one gets from this forum!

Saber 4

And all these years I thought it was "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" lol,  :D

Bagman

Finally smoke day!  I have the buckboard bacon soaking and will soon move to the Bradley. Will follow the Hi Mountain instructions and put in for 45 min at 150 then up to 200 with smoke until IT of 140.  They do not specify smoke time so I figured three hours of hickory.  Will use my Maverick to monitor temps.  Have two buddies coming over to "help", but will still set the alarms on the Maverick: the reason for that is that my Bradley is in my barn about ten feet from my kegorater - enough said :P