too smokey ?????

Started by mutts, July 04, 2004, 09:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutts

Today is day 2 of owning my smoker.
Seems that the biscuits give off heavy smoke, which is a little too intense for my taste.
What is the best way to " throttle back " the smoke???

Fuzzybear

The generator burner plate is not adjustable...I'm thinking if the smoke is to heavy for you, trying opening up the top vent fully and using less pucks - you'll most likely have to experiment until you get the amount of smoke just right for your tastes.....good luck and don't give up!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

ruffinit

welcome mutts! i've smoked lots a meat with the bradley and have never had too much smoke.fuzzy gave some good advice,less pucks,open vent.cheese is the only food i've read about here that its important to lightly smoke,or risk ruining the cheese.well thats my two cents.good luck and keep a smokin.

mike

BigSmoker

It could be the pucks you were using.  Pecan maple alder are less pungent than hickory and mesquite.  Try a milder wood and see what you think.  Happy Q'ing

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

mutts

Just finished a bnls pork loin following the help/guidance from Fuzzybear and rufinit.
Vent open - 3 pucks. 200 degree box to an internal of 175.
Problem solved... great  stuff. Thought the kids would eat the racks!!!!!
Wish I hadnt waited so long to buy the Bradley.

Thanks for the help
Mutts

Fuzzybear

Ahhhhhhhh, another satifisied customer!  Glad things got worked out for ya Mutts!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

curttate

If the smoke flavor is too intense for your taste, try smoking for a very brief period of time and finish off the cooking in the oven.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mutts</i>
<br />Today is day 2 of owning my smoker.
Seems that the biscuits give off heavy smoke, which is a little too intense for my taste.
What is the best way to " throttle back " the smoke???

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Copper Creek

Mutts:

I'm glad to see you've got it worked out.  I never smoke the whole time my meat is cooking.  If I cook a brisket for 8 hours I'll only add enough pucks for maybe four hours of smoke (six at the most).  This not only gives it a milder flavor but it also saves on pucks.  I usually use hickory, but for milder smoke, I've used apple with great results. Also, I always finish my meat in the Bradley.  I never change to the oven.  Keep experimenting... that's most of the fun.

Steve
Copper Creek

"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all."