Belmont F.S. Cure

Started by renoman, October 17, 2013, 02:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renoman

I made a trip to my local butcher supply store looking for Morton's Tender Quick (which is impossible to find here) or Cure #1 and was sent home with this.

The girl said to just add to the meat in the amount stated on the package. It looks to be a lot like Cure#1 only the percentage of sodium nitrite is a bit different. Can I just do the math and just use it in place of Cure #1?

tskeeter

I'd think the Belmont FS Cure would be an acceptable substitute for Cure #1.  Just use it at the specified rate.

In recipes that call for Cure #1, you might need to reduce the salt in your spice blend a little bit because the Belmont Cure will probably introduce a little more salt than Cure #1.

beefmann

give it a shot, if i remember   right  insta cure # 1 is at  6.25 % and morton tender  quick is under 1 % ... if memory serves me correct her some  where around 0.6 %

3rensho

The package rate will give you a concentration of 175 ppm of nitrite so you should be good to go.  Len Poli's recipes seem to be between 150-175 ppm. 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

It's too early in the morning for me to try calculating the ppm's. :) 3rensho has calculated it at 175 ppm's; using it as the manufacturer instructed. The recommendation for fully cooked smoked sausage is 156 ppm. Will the additional 19 ppm's be unsafe, on a small scale I wouldn't think so.

When I add Cure #1 to my sausage recipes, I always reduce the amount of salt by weight that is equal to the amount of cure I have added.

There is another Canadian product called Sure Cure that has the identical formula of cure #1.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Renoman

You probably bought that at Halfords in Edmonton. They also sell both Prague Cure #1 and Cure #2. Here's a link to Prague Cure #1 on their site...
https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/CURE_-_PRAGUE_POWDER__455g_/i_1_0_/_BSSPICI076

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

renoman

Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 18, 2013, 06:01:57 AM
Renoman

You probably bought that at Halfords in Edmonton. They also sell both Prague Cure #1 and Cure #2. Here's a link to Prague Cure #1 on their site...
https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/CURE_-_PRAGUE_POWDER__455g_/i_1_0_/_BSSPICI076

Mike

Yes I did get it at Halfords. I wonder why she directed me to the Belmont cure and not the Prague Cure #1?