Smoked Brook Trout

Started by MapleRidgeSmokeR, October 03, 2013, 03:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MapleRidgeSmokeR

I thought I would share with you folks my take on smoked Brook Trout. I am in no way a "Master smoker" yet but it's coming along.

This is a simple recipe and sometimes simple is the way.

1.) Fresh Brook Trout. I used 4 two pound fish for this recipe.

2.) 2/3 cup course salt
4 cups Demerara sugar
1tbls cayenne pepper
1tbls Montreal steak spice

3.) Layer the fish in the brine and let sit in the fridge over night.

4.) Pull them out in the morning, rinse and pat dry. Once they are drying on the racks, grind some black pepper on them and let sit for an hour.

5.) Fire up the Bradley to 140 and increase the temp ten degrees every hour for three hours. load in some bisquettes. I used apple for this batch. These Brook Trout are not that big so you might want to smoke longer but these guys only need a few hours of smoke time.

6.) Enjoy.

devo

Nice brook trout, happens to be my favorite fish to catch. Looks like you nailed it with the smoking of them to.

MapleRidgeSmokeR

Quote from: devo on October 03, 2013, 03:50:48 PM
Nice brook trout, happens to be my favorite fish to catch. Looks like you nailed it with the smoking of them to.

Thank you.

pz

Looks delicious!  Good sized brookies - ours are native, but rarely more than 6-7 inches in our high mountain lakes
My online cookbook: good food & friends

MapleRidgeSmokeR

Quote from: pz on October 03, 2013, 04:34:43 PM
Looks delicious!  Good sized brookies - ours are native, but rarely more than 6-7 inches in our high mountain lakes

Yeah it's always a treat at this time of year to fish for fall Brookies. They do a good job stocking Eastern Brook trout in a lot of lakes in BC. Great for ice fishin too.

devo

Ya my son and I ice fish for them in the winters here also

pz

Man, you guys get some good sized brookies compared to what I see locally.  Brook trout are my favorite of all trout - their salmon pink flesh needs no seasoning it is so savory.  I recall one time my son and I were at an alpine lake in our area and because we knew we would catch brookies, we brought along a pound of bacon and a Coleman camp stove - spent the night (September when it is already nearly snow time here).  Next morning we quickly caught about six fish, and then rendered the pound of bacon, and used the pork fat to fry the trout (munched on the crispy bacon while the fish cooked) - we pulled out the bones and ate the fish with skin and even the fins which were as crisp as potato chips.

Nothing like fish fresh out of the lake quick fried in bacon fat, then enjoyed as the breeze whispers through the conifers on a crisp September day.  Pair that with the privilege of doing so with your son, and it is truly a memory that lasts a lifetime.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

That is some good looking smoked fish.

ragweed

Beautiful fish!  Both before and after cooking!