Started by duxbux, October 05, 2013, 11:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duxbux

First Timer on Pork Butt...

Bradley 4 Rack Digital

Can I do it tonight?
Bradley 4-Rack Digital

Saber 4

You can do it tonight, you might not eat it until tomorrow depending on how big it is and how tender you want it. There are many good posts on here for doing pulled pork, I would suggest you do a quick search from the home page and read a few to get an idea of how to do it to your specific likes. I am planning on starting one this evening so that the smoke phase is over before I go to sleep, then I'll replace the puck bowl with a 9x13 cake pan of boiling water and get up about 4 hours later to check the temp and replace the water. I am expecting it to cook for at least 12 hours and it could go as long as 18, it just depends on the pig and how long it stays in the stall which will occur around 140-150 and will last several hours. This is when they say all the good stuff is happening so don't panic and turn up the heat to rush it, just be patient and stay the course until it's done, then you can FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) it for a couple of hours so it is good and ready to pull.

duxbux

Got it- I've been looking, haven't really found anything step by step yet.

My PB is 7lb.

Bradley 4-Rack Digital

Saber 4

I know it can be difficult to search sometimes on here, not sure why but I sometimes get different results searching for the exact name of a post I did. Here is a link to the recipe site that is run by a member for all members to share recipes on, you might find something you like there. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php

I rub mine with one of our favorite dry rubs, Jan's Rub is a really good one provided by a forum member's wife that you can't go wrong with or just whatever rub you like for pork that you have on hand. If you can rub it, wrap in plastic and put in the fridge overnight you will get the best rub results, if not apply a heavy amount and let it soak in while you bring the butt closer to room temp while your smoker heats up to 220-225.

Once it's in the smoker you want to use a remote probe type thermometer to watch for your IT to get somewhere north of 170 and then you can start checking it with a fork (but not to often) if the fork goes in easy in several places it's probably ready for a sliced pork, if the fork goes in and twists easily and the pork is breaking up it's ready for pulled pork. Most here look for this around the 185-195 mark others earlier at the 170ish mark and others I've seen talk of going as high as 205. This is when you pull it and FTC it for an hour or two with some having gone 5-7 hours if the butt finishes early. Hope this gets you started in the right direction. Hopefully others will pop up with their opinions and methods.

Habanero Smoker

The below link will take you to a site on how I prepare and smoke/cook my butts.
Pulled Pork and Suace

If you can't apply the rub the night before, wait at least 30 minute after applying the rub before placing it into the smoker. Many like to cook at 225°F - 250°F. If you use those cooking temperatures take the internal temperature to 185°F - 190°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

duxbux

I rubbed it @ about 1, heated up the smoker and it's in.

Thanks for the help.. I normally just smoke deer sausage/sticks, but it's too hot for the woods.

What position should i leave the vent? During Smoke and after?

After smoke, should i remove the water tray and replace with a foil pan on the bottom rack?

How long at 210 do you thing a 7lb butt will take Started @ 5:00 pm.

Alternated Apple/Maple bisc.

I'll updated the thread with pics.

Bradley 4-Rack Digital

ragweed

Vent wide open!  Vent wide open!

After the smoke, dump the pucks and replace with hot/boiling water.  Or use a 9 X 13 pan.  Some folks add apple juice to the water.

A 7 lber could take 12 hrs or 24 hrs or somewhere in between.  Depends on the pig.  It's done when it's done.  It will stall somewhere between 140 & 160 F.  Don't panic and raise the temp.  Just let it do it's thing.

Saber 4

Leave your vent open all the way for the entire smoke or you could end up with black rain dripping on your butt and that's not a pretty picture

Wildcat

I try to maintain a cabinet temp of 205 and an 8 pounder normally takes me around 16 to 18 hours. However, with that being said, as mentioned above each porker is different and it could take less, but could also take a lot more time. Patience is key to smoking, and especially butts.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

If you are running with a fully open vent and you find you are struggling to get the smoker up to 210°F, try adjusting the vent opening to 1/2 - 3/4. With that type of load you are smoke/cooking, that opening is plenty enough to prevent moisture build up inside the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)