Montreal Smoked Meat

Started by Smokeville, October 07, 2013, 06:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Quote from: Saber 4 on October 08, 2013, 02:02:12 PM
Looks really good, get you some flour or corn tortillas, some salsa and you've got yourself some montreal smoked meat taco's. Can't help myself we put everything on tortillas in Texas.

Sounds great! Since we have about 10lbs of the stuff I will get to try everything!

Smokeville

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 08, 2013, 01:47:52 PM
Quote from: Smokeville on October 08, 2013, 01:41:38 PM
I just checked to be sure and it was Morton's. Here in Canada we get Windsor, but I bought the Morton's in the US last month because it is so much cheaper than Kosher salt here.

Thanks again. I'm going to try this recipe to see if it is any different then pastrami. I generally will use a dry cure, but will wet cure the brisket when I make this recipe.

Well, here in Canada we get corned beef / pastrami / montreal smoked meat sandwiches at every deli. The good places sell product from Lesters in Montreal, and it is really very good. It can be hard to tell the difference between pastrami and MSM outside of Quebec.

What got me going on this recipe was that it came from Martin Picard. He is a legend and is truly "The Wild Chef." if you want to know how to cook squirrel or beaver or the testicles of some other animal, he's your man.

Check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b4mK5vvTbE

My wife and I ate at his Montreal urban location and he was as gracious as he was wild looking. So, I figured if his MSM recipe was good enough for Martin it was good enough for me!

We are having MSM on rye with mustard and a dill pickle tonight which will truly be the tatse test.

Regards, Rich

Smokeville

Final photos before we ate it all....

My wife said i was too cheap with the portion.... twice again next time!

mybad

That looks amazing! Nice job.

MB

pz

That looks deliciously tender and juicy - great job
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Smokeville

And, that was the flat.

We will need to wear a bib when we try the point tomorrow....

My sincere thanks to Martin Picard for this recipe.

Rich

Ka Honu

Habanero Smoker

I'll check out the video latter, but at this time I don't have a desire to cook rodents or testicles. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 09, 2013, 01:52:55 AM
I'll check out the video latter, but at this time I don't have a desire to cook rodents or testicles. :)

Indeed. His show on Food Network Canada was a tough one to watch. BTW the video is just his simple unique take on a hamburger.

barbquebec

...being from Montreal,I can assure you it's difficult to "copycat" true Montreal smoked meat.(btw there are different types of Montreal smoked meat) and yours looks awesome. 8)

Fish Whisperer

What is the steaming process?  I really want to try this.  It looks fantastic !

I am in Markham by the way....

WoodlawnSmoker

I've been wanting to try this recipe for quite awhile now and finally have a chance.  I got a full packer brisket this week, a big chunk went to make slow-cooked beef dip sandwiches and another hunk for some MSM.

It's in the brine right now, which smells great.  Can't wait, I'll post up some pics after smoking and steaming.

dave01

Instead of steaming could you use  Sous Vide, I'm still trying to justify buying one

iceman

Quote from: dave01 on January 01, 2015, 01:03:47 PM
Instead of steaming could you use  Sous Vide, I'm still trying to justify buying one

JUST DO IT!!!  ;D
You like juicy meat? Perfect veggies? Awesome seafood? GET IT.  ;)