Wife had a flat tire

Started by Northern_Smoke, October 07, 2013, 02:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

Well when we woke up this morning my wife's car had a flat tire so being the nice guy that I am, I offered her my truck since its my day off. Little did I realize that I wanted to make sausage today but no way of getting to the store...so I improvised. Yesterday she made 52 dozen perogies (good old Ukrainians lol) and had some left over filling so I started laying out the blue prints of what was on todays menu. I had also been wanting to try Tenpoint5's BBQ rib sausage. So today they met in my kitchen. What I came up with was a sort of scotch egg without the egg.

I rolled the cheesy potato filling into small balls.

Then I mixed up the sausage. The only problem was I only had one pound of pork so I had to use one pound of beef. Two pounds sounded like it was going to be enough for this experiment.

Next was to wrap the sausage around the potato balls

Into the smoker with an hour of smoke and another 2 hours of about 220

And the outcome

What did I get from this little experiment? Well I would definitely use all pork next time but necessity dictated that I use what I had on hand. The beef didn't make it taste bad but I was really looking forward to a pork rib type of taste. P.S. Tenpoint5's recipe was very very tasty so the disappointment in flavor was due to me using beef and had nothing to do with the original recipe. Also I used dehydrated onions to try and help soak up some of the moisture that people had mentioned. It seemed to have worked really well. The only thing I did with them was to crush them up very small to simulate an onion going threw the grinder.

All said and done, I would definitely do this recipe again but use all pork. I am thinking this might be and easy breakfast or lunch...grab a sausage wrapped potato in one hand and hit the road.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

beefmann

man that  looks good... p.s sorry your  wife had a  flat

Saber 4

Sorry about the flat tire but it looks like it caused a burst of creative cooking. Of course you know I'm going to ask for the cheesy potato mixture recipe because those look great

Northern_Smoke

With the way things turned out, I wasn't too sorry she had a flat cause I had an awesome lunch lol. On a side not, I got her flat fixed and had time to bake a loaf of onion garlic bread which makes a wicked grilled cheese :)

The recipe is just kind of wing it. I think there was about 15-18 cups of mashed potatoes, 1 large and 1 small brick of velveta cheese and about 5 diced and fried onions.

redcrew71

you had me at Perogies....lol

Northern_Smoke

Quote from: redcrew71 on October 07, 2013, 04:34:39 PM
you had me at Perogies....lol

Haha...that's how she hooked me in the first place...well that was one of the ways ;) lok

Tenpoint5

That just had to be good! Even with the beef in it it still sounds good.

Don't take this wrong but I'm glad you did use beef with negative results. I had been pondering if using beef as a filler would effect the outcome of the sausage. My thoughts were using a fattier grade of beef would simulate the fattiness of ribs a little better. No need to do that experiment anymore. Ill stick with what works. I like the idea of the dried onions to help with the moisture that can be an issue.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Northern_Smoke

I found the beef dried it out a bit but I was at the mercy of using a pre ground 90/10 pack I had on hand. Possibly a fattier ratio would help out but it did have a prominent beef flavor which wasn't bad but not was I was hoping for or expecting. After mixing in the dried onions I had NO moisture I. The bottom of my bowl to worry about. All in all it was a fun and tasty experiment that I learned from :)

And Tenpoint5, thanks for doing the leg work on the rib sausage :)

pz

Love to do creative cooking with things on hand at home - good job on that cook
My online cookbook: good food & friends