Help needed on ribs that are in smoker now!

Started by mattyb9977, October 06, 2013, 07:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyb9977

Hello,
1st smoke.....OBS 4 rack no mods
3 racks of pork spare ribs.
pre heated to 225...1 brick with foil...vent open
loaded racks and temp @ 175...

What should I do?  Smoke longer? For How long?

Thanks,
Mattyb 

smokerator

I'm a newbie but I understand it may take an hour or two for the heat to come back up. Be patient.
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

smokerator

Again, I am a newbie but your drop in temperature will not change how long to smoke your ribs. Your ribs are being smoked even though the temperature has dropped.

Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

mattyb9977

smokerator

You may have to adjust your total cooking time. But I'm not sure how long.
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

KyNola

Mike is correct.  Patience is the key.  The cold ribs are absorbing all of the heat energy the element s producing.  As the meat comes up to temp you will see the temp in the tower come up to your set point. Next time preheat the tower much higher than your cooking temp.  As the temp in the tower rises back to your desired cooking temp, lower your set point to the desired temp.

Matty, those ribs are probably going to take a total of around 6 hours.

mattyb9977

ok...I was planning on the 3-2-1 method... so 6 hrs just in the smoker?
Thanks again guys for your help

Saber 4

Quote from: mattyb9977 on October 06, 2013, 08:01:57 AM
ok...I was planning on the 3-2-1 method... so 6 hrs just in the smoker?
Thanks again guys for your help

That should be close as a guide but you will be able to adjust your time as needed during the "1" phase and add more time if they don't look done, some go by how much the meat pulls away from the bone and others do a bend test by picking the rack up with tongs in the middle and if they bend but don't break apart they are done. You will have to determine what exact finished result you want and adjust your times accordingly as you get to know your smoker.

KyNola

Another good way to test for doneness is by inserting a skewer between the bones.  If it goes in and comes out with little resistance your ribs should be good to go.

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on October 06, 2013, 08:17:28 AM
Another good way to test for doneness is by inserting a skewer between the bones.  If it goes in and comes out with little resistance your ribs should be good to go.

Thanks Larry, I knew I was forgetting a good method but old age crept up on me while I was posting. :)

mattyb9977

Thanks everyone... really appreciate the help....