Brisket Success, thanks WTS and others

Started by ssherman, October 09, 2013, 07:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssherman

I did my first brisket in my Bradley 6 rack digital and it turned out great.  I just wanted to report what I did.  I attribute most of my success to reading other messages and hints in this forum.  Several issues were addressed and managed.

1.  I picked a good packer with plenty of fat, one that bent easily, and one that would FIT in the smoker with the help of Pachanga's tip (brisket too large)

2.  I trimmed the brisket aggressively, removing most of the hard fat, but leaving 1/4 - 1/8 inch of fat cap.  This was several lbs. on a 16 lb. brisket.  Plenty of fat was remaining to keep the meat tender.  Silverskin removed.  Brisket notched to note grain direction.  Most of fat in large deckle vein removed.

3.  Used dry rub (salt, pepper, Memphis Belle), wrapped and let sit a couple of hours only to room temperature. I did put on a light coat of mustard first.

4.  Into the Bradley @240° which yielded a consistent temperature of 220°-227° in the box.  Smoked for 5 hours with apple/hickory discs. 

5.  Put in aluminum tray, added apple juice and covered with foil for remaining cooking time of approximately 7 hours (12 total) to a internal temperature of 195°.  I set the temp. @ 230°, which yield a consistent 215-220° in the box.

6.  Immediately removed and cut off point for burnt ends, FTC the rest for 3 hours.  The meat for the BEs were cubed and sauced and put on the heat for another 2 hours.  Crispy outside and tender inside.

I know that others can probably do better, but the results were excellent.  The burnt ends were like candy and the brisket was easy to slice, tender and succulent.  Thanks to all for the help in this trial run brisket.   :) :) :)
What is the ground drag coefficient of an unhusked turtle?

Saber 4

Glad you had another success, all that matters is that you and yours enjoy every bite. :)

beefmann

good success from the help of great  members,,, can not say  enough of this forum and its members

ssherman

Quote from: Saber 4 on October 09, 2013, 09:23:03 AM
Glad you had another success, all that matters is that you and yours enjoy every bite. :)

Actually, I gave the entire brisket to a family that has been down on their luck.  I got a taste, though.  ;D

ssherman

Quote from: beefmann on October 09, 2013, 10:55:34 AM
good success from the help of great  members,,, can not say  enough of this forum and its members

I've always found that feedback from people that have been there, and most importantly, people that have no vested interest other than sharing their experience, is the most reliable.  This forum was the first place I went after I ordered my Bradley.

Saber 4

Quote from: ssherman on October 09, 2013, 02:52:10 PM
Quote from: Saber 4 on October 09, 2013, 09:23:03 AM

Actually, I gave the entire brisket to a family that has been down on their luck.  I got a taste, though.  ;D

That is even better, anyone can feed their own family, but not everyone will help those in need. You will fit in well with the other members here.

Ka Honu

Quote from: ssherman on October 09, 2013, 07:29:12 AMI know that others can probably do better...

I doubt it; it's tough to beat "burnt ends were like candy and the brisket was easy to slice, tender and succulent." That's as good as it gets.

I'd have had a tough time giving away the point, though.  They'd had to have been satisfied with the flat.

ssherman

It was a single mom with 4 kids with a deadbeat dad who stopped paying child support.  Deadbeats get no brisket.

They ate it all in one night  ;D

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

ssherman

Well, I just completed my second brisket and I am now 2-0 for briskets!  This one was about a 10 pounder, trimmed aggressively, rubbed with salt/pepper and just a little Memphis Belle Rub.  I again used the WTS method.  After 5 hours of slow cooking and smoke @230° (which yielded a consistent 215-225°), I took the brisket out, boated it in an aluminum pan with apple juice and covered tightly with foil.  Back in the Bradley for another 6 hours and the brisket was fork tender @196° Internal temperature.  I cut off the point for burnt ends which went back in with some BBQ sauce for a little more heat and smoke.  The Flat is wrapped tightly in the cooler, FTC for several hours.  Thanks again for all the tips!

Saber 4

Glad your having success, with every success your addiction will take firmer hold of you, soon it will be cheese and salt and anything else you can think of smoking ;)

ragweed

I'm happy you had another victory.  As Saber 4 says, soon you'll be smoking everything!  Try cold smoking some hard boiled eggs with 2 hrs of hickory.  You'll never eat them "plain" again!!

ssherman

We dug into the brisket last night and it was totally awesome.  The lighter seasoning of only salt/pepper and a tiny amount of Memphis Belle really made it the best brisket ever.  Also had baked potato with s/p, butter and sour cream (crunchy skin on the potato) and Southern style green beans, scorched with onion and bacon of course.  Great dinner!   Briskets are not hard if you follow a few simple rules. 

JohnM70

Quote from: beefmann on October 09, 2013, 10:55:34 AM

I second that Beefmann. You all have been a great help to me.  8)

John
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"