Salmon smoking

Started by murrhunts, October 04, 2013, 11:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murrhunts

Well I am not sure what is going on, I thought I had it down, but every time I smoke salmon it comes out different.  I guess every different temp, wind, etc..... has a factor in it.

??????????????

Habanero Smoker

If you give a better description of different, many on this forum can help you better. What actually is turning out different each time you smoke salmon; the taste, texture, and/or appearance or other. If it is taste, can you describe the difference in taste, same information if it is texture and/or appearance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

murrhunts

The taste, and appearance are different.  Last time I used frozen salmon that I caught, this time fresh.  Do you think that has anything to do with it.

Another thing is I taste it right out of the smoker, last time I did the same thing and it was better a day or two later. 

I think what it comes down to is I am too hard on myself and worried about what everyone else will think.

Habanero Smoker

Thought ambient weather can play a major role in the outcome of your product, but it may be a case of you being too harsh of a critic.

If the fish was frozen properly, and no signs of freezer burn, I rarely notice any difference in texture or appearance. I do notice that when I purchase salmon at different times and places, especially farmed raise they are not the same shade. Sometimes they will be a light pink, and other times they may be closer to red. That can factor into the appearance.

For me the flavor always tasted better after at least one day. The flavors; especially the smoke taste; tends to meld and smooth out better. Also if you hang around the smoker, and are exposed to the smoke, there is a phenomena called "flavor fatigue" or "sensory fatigue". It is a situation when one is exposed to a smell or taste for a period of time, they become desensitized to that particular smell or taste for a period of time. So that could also have played a factor in taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 05, 2013, 02:04:14 AM
If the fish was frozen properly, and no signs of freezer burn, I rarely notice any difference in texture or appearance. I do notice that when I purchase salmon at different times and places, especially farmed raise they are not the same shade. Sometimes they will be a light pink, and other times they may be closer to red. That can factor into the appearance.

For me the flavor always tasted better after at least one day. The flavors; especially the smoke taste; tends to meld and smooth out better. Also if you hang around the smoker, and are exposed to the smoke, there is a phenomena called "flavor fatigue" or "sensory fatigue". It is a situation when one is exposed to a smell or taste for a period of time, they become desensitized to that particular smell or taste for a period of time. So that could also have played a factor in taste.
Agreed.  I'll take the farm raised vs wild caught salmon to an even higher level.  I simply won't purchase farm raised salmon anymore, especially when the farms are in foreign countries.  The last time I smoked some Chilean farmed salmon, I had so much goo cook out of the fish that it looked like someone had melted mozzarella cheese all over the smoker.  It was hanging down from the racks and would literally puddle on the filets on the racks below.  Nope, if I can't obtain wild caught salmon I simply won't cook it.

Salmonsmoker

I was curious when reading this thread what species of salmon you were smoking. I see you're on the east side, so it must be Atlantic salmon. If it's farmed, it's Atlantic salmon,(Pacific salmon doesn't farm well) although your first smoke was one that you caught. The quality of the wild caught salmon will be superior to the farmed cr*p. That may explain part of the difference in taste, texture etc. I've never smoked any Atlantic salmon, so I can't comment on the taste or texture. With the Pacific salmon each species has it's own flavor and texture characteristics.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

murrhunts

Well, I gave it a day and again the fish taste fine.  I think it comes down to being too hard on myself.  But the whole process did go, and have a different outcome from color to flavor.  My second batch I didn't rinse the brine off, and I think it came out better.

Salmonsmoker, they are not farm raised unless you consider being raise in a hatchery and stocked as fingerlings farm raised????  They are Chinook salmon I go to New York every year, they are coming out of lake Ontario.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: murrhunts on October 06, 2013, 09:55:14 AM
Well, I gave it a day and again the fish taste fine.  I think it comes down to being too hard on myself.  But the whole process did go, and have a different outcome from color to flavor.  My second batch I didn't rinse the brine off, and I think it came out better.

Salmonsmoker, they are not farm raised unless you consider being raise in a hatchery and stocked as fingerlings farm raised????  They are Chinook salmon I go to New York every year, they are coming out of lake Ontario.

Ah yes murr, forgot about the Chinook salmon in the Great Lakes. "Farmed" is pen raised from smolt to market. There's a lot of hatchery fish on the west coast and they are released in the  wild to mature, same as in the GL. They are salt water wild here as apposed to the fresh water of the GL. I don't know if that would make for a different taste.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

murrhunts

I would love to get out your way and fish for some wild salmon

Phyfer

Hi, I have recently purchased a smoker.  I have smoked salmon twice.  The end product is very wet looking or oily.   Is this correct or what am I doing wrong? 

Saber 4

Quote from: Phyfer on October 09, 2013, 11:11:35 AM
Hi, I have recently purchased a smoker.  I have smoked salmon twice.  The end product is very wet looking or oily.   Is this correct or what am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the forum, I'm no expert on salmon smoking however I do know the experts will want to know as many details of your smokes as you can describe, which model smoker, what wood, what temps and times, how you prepped the fish before going in the smoker, was the vent open or closed. If you can provide some of these details I know it will speed up their ability to respond and help you. :)

murrhunts

I think I know what you are talking about Phyfer, you need to cook it longer to dry it out a little more.  When I am done with the smoke my fish looks too moist yet, I have it in another couple hours before it is done.