Smoked Wings...chewy skin

Started by Bdogggut34, October 10, 2013, 10:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bdogggut34

Smoked in the DBS for 2hrs with hickory at fluctuating 215-250 (Smoker set at 230 for majority) vent open. I took them off and grilled them for a few minutes each side.

Taste/flavor was awesome...Jan's rub! The skin was just a little chewy though, i thought the grilling would crisp it up but maybe I didnt grill them long enough. Didnt want to overcook the chicken though....as they did turn out perfectly cooked.

Does anyone take their wings directly from the smoker to the fryer for a few minutes?  Do you still get the good smoke flavor as well as the rub?  What temp do you recommend the oil to be at?

iceman

Do the wings from smoker to deep fryer all the time.
Did I mention Jan's Rub rocks  :D
We fry them for two to three minutes at between 350f and 375f.
Drain on a rack and not on paper towels! They will start to steam on paper towels and get rubbery again.
Just our way of doing it. I'm sure others will pipe in.

beefmann

to get rid of the chewy  skin ,, place on  a  hot  grill for a  few  minutes to  crisp the skin

Ka Honu

What they said. Low temp cook (below 325-350o or so) won't crisp poultry skin. Finish at higher temp by frying, on grill, in TBE, in oven, or whatever.

Bdogggut34

Thanks all....grilling didn't do it for me so going to try a quick fry next time.