temperature question

Started by tailfeathers, October 11, 2013, 07:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

I am doing Mallardwhacker's canadian bacon recipe with a pork loin, and it's day 21, time for the smoke! My question is he says to smoke at 150 for the first while without smoke, then apply smoke to IT of 152. Should I go by 150 on the display, or 150 as read by another thermometer at the top of the tower? It is windy and rainy here, and when the display reads 150 I am only getting about 110 on a digital thermometer just inside the top vent.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Thanks for the quick response. That was my assumption, so I cranked up the oven temp setting. My probe is right between two pieces of the meat, within an inch of each, so I should be good to go for now. Might need to invest in another digital thermometer so I can accurately decipher both IT of the meat and the tower temp. Thanks again!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tailfeathers on October 11, 2013, 07:35:08 AM
Thanks for the quick response. That was my assumption, so I cranked up the oven temp setting. My probe is right between two pieces of the meat, within an inch of each, so I should be good to go for now. Might need to invest in another digital thermometer so I can accurately decipher both IT of the meat and the tower temp. Thanks again!

That is not a good place for your probe. You probe is going to read a much lower temperature than the cabinet is. Near the meats surface you are going to me measuring the air cooled by evaporating moisture that is escaping from the meat, which could give you a reading of up to 40°F lower than the actual cabinet temperature.

The best place would be underneath the lowest rack away from the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tailfeathers

I've been doing a lot of reading on this site and I'm thinking an auber dual probe pid is gonna be at the top of my Christmas list, along with a 900 watt upgrade. Sounds like everyone likes them.

KyNola