Should I order a PID for my new BS611?

Started by joaxe, October 17, 2013, 10:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joaxe

Bradley peeps,

I recently bought a new BS611 but have yet to season it and start using it.

I am going to order pucks to save the bisquettes but do I need to also order a PID?

I am planning to use the smoker to smoke fish, venison, deer sausage, deer snack sticks, and the like (maybe cheeses in the future).  I just don't know what the benefits of using a PID are.

Can one of you smoker experts shed some light...?

Thanks in advance,

Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"

tskeeter

You might try your smoker without a PID for a while and see how it performs for you.  There are lots of forum members who have been using their Bradleys for many years without feeling the need to invest in a PID.

Most members use a PID for a couple of purposes.  To reduce the temperature variability of their smoker (20F +/- the temp you set is not unusual).  Or to control modified heating systems that draw more power than the stock control system is rated for.

Some foods, such as sausage or fish, can be affected by the carry over heating that takes place after the cabinet temperature reaches the point you have set and the heating element shuts off.  Unless you are going to be smoking a lot of temperature sensitive products, the most cost effective way to deal with carry over heating would be to set the temp on your controls a bit lower and allow a little more time for cooking.

In addition to Bubba Pucks, you might consider investing in a remote thermometer.  Many members cook to an internal temperature (IT) to avoid over cooking what they have smoked and drying it out.  They find a thermometer that you can either drop through the vent or close the door on helpful to avoid repeatedly opening the smoker door to check temperatures (this loses a lot of heat and adds about 15 minutes or so to your cook time every time you open the door).  The preferred remote thermometer seems to be the Maverick 732.  A dual probe (measure meat IT and cabinet temperature at the same time), wireless (there are two display units, one that the temperature probes plug into that stays near the smoker, and a portable display unit that you can have with you to monitor the smoker while you watch the football game) thermometer.

Important suggestion.  Keep the vent open, keep the vent open, keep the vent open.

Happy smoking!  Here's to smoke in your eyes! 

Grouperman941

The PID allows tight temperature control. Not all applications need it. Smoked sausage probably does.

I have smoked a ton of food without a PID.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

beefmann

get use to your  smoker first, do several  smokes / cooks and go from there,,, The PID is for holding tighter temps in the  smoker, if  this is something you are  looking for,,,  put it on your  wish  list, along with  other items.

if you  have  more  questions,,,  please ask

joaxe

Awsome!  Thanks, peeps!  Now I understand what the PID is for (maybe I'll use the smoker for a while then wait for an Auber sale).

;D

Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"

Fireguy06

I just got one about 3 months ago and man does it make it so much easier to run the smoker
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill

Habanero Smoker

For the list of foods you are planning to smoke/cook, a PID will be well worth the investment. When I purchased my Bradley original a PID or other type of temperature controller was something only one could dream about. I have smoke/cooked fish, and sausage without a temperature controller and basically had to baby sit the smoker, and frequently adjust the temperature slider. A PID or other type of temperature controller will maintain a set temperature, so you can be freed you up to do a few other things then sit by the smoker. If it is within your budget it is well worth getting now.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mybad

After using my smoker for the last 6 years without one, then recently picking one up...the answer is a definite YES!

Like Hab's said, it will free you up, seemed like I spent a ton of time, just adjusting the temp control. I have the older SS non-digital.

MB

pokermeister

Also get frog mats (non stick plastic) from yardandpool.com . They are worth their weight in gold when it comes to cleanup. Never used a PID, and have smoked over 50 times with a BS611 and no problem. Just my 2 cents.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

TedEbear

Quote from: joaxe on October 17, 2013, 10:49:04 AM
I am going to order pucks to save the bisquettes but do I need to also order a PID?

You don't need one but it sure is nice to have it.  I installed a PID controller in my OBS a few years ago.  I got tired of having to get up in the middle of the night during an overnight smoke to adjust the slider temp control (I know yours is a knob) to compensate for the change in the outside air temp when the sun went down.  The PID keeps the temp to within 1-2 degrees of the setpoint.

An Auber PID controller is anywhere from around $45 to $190, depending on if you like to tinker and install it yourself or just want a plug-n-play version.