Cheesiest night

Started by anthony, October 16, 2013, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pz

Indeed; the cheese looks really good!
My online cookbook: good food & friends

pokermeister

In addition to sea salt, you can also use Kosher salt. It also has bigger crystals and will take the smoke real well.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

sage03

Hey Saber4 I've done the smoked sea salt at least 1/2 dozen times....I got a couple of screened splatter guards from Ikea,filled them up with coarse sea salt and smoked them 2-3hrs with mesq. hickory and apple wood. I like a little extra smoke flavor so that's the 2-3 hr. part. I've done this before the holidays,vac-pac the salt in small pkgs. put some of my smoked cheese with it and give out as a small gift pack to friends. Turns out they like it so much I'm always being asked for more during the year.Sometimes I'll trade the salt and cheese for BBq. Win win situation!!   

Saber 4

Quote from: sage03 on October 19, 2013, 11:58:41 AM
Hey Saber4 I've done the smoked sea salt at least 1/2 dozen times....I got a couple of screened splatter guards from Ikea,filled them up with coarse sea salt and smoked them 2-3hrs with mesq. hickory and apple wood. I like a little extra smoke flavor so that's the 2-3 hr. part. I've done this before the holidays,vac-pac the salt in small pkgs. put some of my smoked cheese with it and give out as a small gift pack to friends. Turns out they like it so much I'm always being asked for more during the year.Sometimes I'll trade the salt and cheese for BBq. Win win situation!!   

That's a good idea on the splatter guards, the thing I like about the coffee filters is that I can roll them up to put the salt back in the bottle. I've got some salt that is up to 15 hours of hickory on it and it is awesome.

anthony

You made me start some smoked salt, did kosher and sea at the same time. 2 hrs smoke while doing some chicken. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Saber 4

Looks good, put it back in the jar and give it a little shake every day and the color will deepen and the smoke will deepen.

anthony

Quote from: Saber 4 on October 21, 2013, 06:00:39 PM
Looks good, put it back in the jar and give it a little shake every day and the color will deepen and the smoke will deepen.
Thanks for the tip on shaking it every other day, would have never thought. 

Saber 4

Quote from: anthony on October 21, 2013, 06:13:59 PM
Quote from: Saber 4 on October 21, 2013, 06:00:39 PM
Thanks for the tip on shaking it every other day, would have never thought.

I have to give credit to TenPoint5 he's the one who told me about it.