anyone take their BS to a BBQ competition?

Started by smokin stu, May 31, 2006, 07:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin stu

I see these smoke off's on TV and was wondering if anyone takes their BS and competes.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: smokin stu on May 31, 2006, 07:26:48 PM
I see these smoke off's on TV and was wondering if anyone takes their BS and competes.
So far the BBQ competitions in my area do not allow electric smokers. Maybe someday. Most allow gas operated smokers these days. Can electric be far behind?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

boxertrio

KCBS does not allow gas or electric, only wood, pellets, charcoal, sawdust. In April we heard gas burners fire in the middle of the night to keep up temp >:(...these scoundrels were delt a barrage of paint balls at 300 ft/pr second (cheaters never prosper). Also alot of comp sites do not have electric hookups.  Comps are all about stokin the fire, drinkin beer and shootin the crap with other competitors.  My Bradley is convenient and reliable, but a big ole pit, and 1 or 2 hundred fellow smokers is alot of fun.  Besides, how you gonna fry eggs and hash browns for breakfast with out a nice hot fire box to cook on? ;)
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

iceman

boxtio is right on the money. If you ever get a chance go to a compitition. You will never forget the fun you had. ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: boxertrio on June 01, 2006, 04:36:29 PM
KCBS does not allow gas or electric, only wood, pellets, charcoal, sawdust. In April we heard gas burners fire in the middle of the night to keep up temp >:(...these scoundrels were delt a barrage of paint balls at 300 ft/pr second (cheaters never prosper). Also alot of comp sites do not have electric hookups.  Comps are all about stokin the fire, drinkin beer and shootin the crap with other competitors.  My Bradley is convenient and reliable, but a big ole pit, and 1 or 2 hundred fellow smokers is alot of fun.  Besides, how you gonna fry eggs and hash browns for breakfast with out a nice hot fire box to cook on? ;)
I misread the information the on the New England Barbecue Society website, that I had been thinking about joining. Although they believe good barbecue can be done by gas using wood chips; in competition you can only use wood or charcoal. In my area most competitions are held at fair grounds where electrical hookups are readily available; so you can always bring your electric frying pan to prepare breakfast ;)

On a sad note, after going through their website with a fine tooth comb, I learned I missed a KCBS Certified Judging Class that was held about 30 miles away from me. That would have qualified me to be a judge at the Hudson Valley RibFest this August. Oh well! There is always next year.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigSmoker

The KCBS judges class is a blast.  I recommend it for any one interested in BBQ which is all of us ;D.  Just arrived back from a KCBS event this weekend.  We took 6th in pork butt and 8th in brisket using Primo Ovals.  I will be in Dillard Ga. 1st weekend in Aug. in another KCBS event.  If your close you should come.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

I am ticked that I did not pay closer attentions to the New England Barbecue Society (NEBS) schedule. There in not another class close by that is on this year's schedule.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

boxertrio

BigSmoker is rite on about the judging classes, I didn't take them to judge, but to learn what judges look for.  They had 30 of us judge the same meat....man the difference in scores was amazing!!  The Smoke Ring http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=37&sid=8565d2a152441cc29dd9c0e7625ba798 competition page has some great links for competition in your area.

You gotta love a big ole pit!!

--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Oldman

Maybe we should start up our own smokin' contest where charcoal, wood chunks and logs are not allowed... only electric smokers  ;D

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Quote from: Oldman on June 06, 2006, 05:43:48 PM
Maybe we should start up our own smokin' contest where charcoal, wood chunks and logs are not allowed... only electric smokers  ;D
I was thinking the same thing Old's. I already put flyers up at ASRC Energy to get feedback. Almost all of us use electric smokers up here it seems. Dang good idea you have there. I might have to get us another prize package together. ;D