How dry I am.....

Started by GusRobin, October 27, 2013, 10:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

UMAi dry bags that is.
I have wanted to make some dry cured sausages for a long time, but haven't had the time nor money to get a curing fridge set up. So I decided to try the UMAi bag method.
I ordered their salumi and charcuterie kits.

I wanted to do pepperoni, Genoa salami, soppressata salami, and capicola. I was going to start with a small amount of one of these to see how it worked. But then I realized that the directions said it could take 3-6 weeks. I don't think I could wait that long, have it taste good, and then have to wait another 3-6 weeks for the next batch. They say go big or go home. So I decided to make 2.5 lbs of each except the capicola. That I would start with 4 lbs.

First I mixed the spices, meat, and cure for all the ones that I would stuff. As I completed each I bagged it and put in the fridge while I was working on the others. Here they are all bagged.

Next I took the UMAi bags and stuffed and vac sealed.

Tied some string and an ID card with the name of the sausage and its starting weight. Hanging to ferment for a couple of days.

I am using a boneless butt for the capicola. Mixed the spices and put the butt in a zip lock bag. Into the fridge for a week.

More to come as things progress.
While these are doing their thing, I'll be out looking for a green ham to make proscuitto.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smokerator

Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

anthony

Looks good. I will be watching this. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KyNola

Gus, I have the charcuterie kit.  The bags work!  I may order the salumi kit too.

GusRobin

Quote from: KyNola on October 28, 2013, 07:36:15 AM
Gus, I have the charcuterie kit.  The bags work!
Never underestimate my ability to screw something up. ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

cobra6223

looks interesting! now I can't wait for follow up pics !!  ;D

Chewbacca

I'm very interested in hearing about the results  ;)

GusRobin

So the Soppressata, Genoa, and Pepperoni were hung in the pantry to ferment for 3 days.
Took them down today, weighed them and into the fridge for 3-5 weeks or so. Here they are, tagged and on the racks.

The Capicola has 4 more days curing in the fridge before I bag them.

Here is a weight table for the sausages.

More to come in 3-5 weeks.

Saber 4

Looks like it will be well worth the wait, I'll be watching this one for sure

GusRobin

After a week, here are the weights of the sausages. They have lost about 4-6%. Goal is 30% loss so about 4-5 more weeks.

After a week in the fridge, I took the butt out to make the capicola. Per directions, I was supposed to use the coppa muscle from a pork shoulder. The cut along the dotted line meat carvers at the local Publix didn't have a clue to what I wanted so the best I could do was a boneless butt. It was basically flat so I had to roll and tie it. Not perfect but the best I could do with what I had.
Here is the butt with the salt and cure washed off and then rubbed with paprika. Into the fridge for 3-5 months.

Here they are rolled, tied, and bagged and into the fridge.

More to come in about a week or so.

NePaSmoKer

Saber 4

Looks like it will turn out good for you.

GusRobin

Two weeks into it and here is where it stands.

More to come .

GusRobin

Latest update as of 20 days.  the Biggest Loser (%) is Capicola #2 followed by Pepperoni # 2

Since they were doing well, they asked for a team picture. So here are the players.

iceman

Everything's looking mighty fine Gus. Good work.