is this ok either smoke or worse coming through

Started by CLAREGO, October 21, 2013, 05:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

i open the rear of my obs cabinet and looks to be smoke i hop what is your thoughts ?

beefmann

looks like your  top vent is not  open all the  way, in my  opinion that should not be happing at all

CLAREGO

lol this be my first smoker first type on the market   8) just hoping no wires were burning

Saber 4

Looks to be smoke from the pictures, I would check the wires carefully for signs of heat damage and if none is found close it up and use it.

CLAREGO

muaaaaaaaaaah i took it off for a reason  :o im going to super charge the smoker lets just say 2006 the thing is over 7 years old. this thing survived being drop on its head twice a wind storm sent it flying at least 30 feet and she still works  :)

beefmann

Quote from: CLAREGO on October 21, 2013, 09:15:46 AM
muaaaaaaaaaah i took it off for a reason  :o im going to super charge the smoker lets just say 2006 the thing is over 7 years old. this thing survived being drop on its head twice a wind storm sent it flying at least 30 feet and she still works  :)

What you  have there is a  Timex smoker.... takes a  licking and keeps on  smoking   ;D ;D ;D

Habanero Smoker

I noticed such damage to my insulation when I was installing my second element. The smoker was 5 years old at the time, now after 9 years I have a feeling mine is probably now looking like your.

It is not smoke damage, but the insulation breaking down due to frequent exposure to heat. My insulation melting was directly behind the element and where the holes are cut to allow the wires to go into the cabinet and connect to the element. These are the areas the foam insulation gets the most heat. I feel that is pretty common, and others have posted similar pictures. Though yours seems to be the greatest amount of damage I have seen. I also noticed the area underneath the foam insulation just behind the element, there is a section of what appears to be mineral wool insulation. I believe it was installed there for add protection to the foam insulation. The only thing that I have noticed due to this melting is the back panel directly behind the element gets hotter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CLAREGO

i hope to stay under 200 while smoking foods ill leave the ribs etc for the coals ill just have to keep an eye on it. Anyone know what type of insulation is lining the smoker?

Mr Walleye

Clarego

I'm not sure what type on insulation is in them from the factory. Mine was similar inside as well. When I had it apart I was also working on building my big smoker so I had a lot of mineral wool around. I scrapped out the bottom half of the cabinet and replaced it with mineral wool. Especially behind the elements. Mineral wool is rated around 2000 degrees. You could also use fibre glass insulation which is rate around 1000 degrees.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

CLAREGO

thanks mike... this is what makes a bradley different with some all about the insulation. I have the fan on i just need to get some insulation and screws and another switch and im home free