Vacuum pack vs poly bags

Started by Bagman, October 29, 2013, 04:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagman

With deer season getting near and hopefully plenty of venison to be packaged I would like to get opinions on packaging.  We will debone and grind before packaging for the freezer.  I have a 15" vacuum sealer that I am sure will preserve better than the poly bags, however the poly bags are cheaper and much faster and easier when dealing with a lot of meat.  I guess my question is how much longer would vacuum sealed meat last vs the poly bags?
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

rexster

Poly bags are good for a couple of weeks at the most before frostbite sets it. Vacuum bags will last a year or more. I've eaten hamburger meat dated Nov 2012 couple of weeks ago after we forgot it was in the freezer.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

ragweed

X2.  If you're gonna get to it soon, weeks verses months, zip bags are fine.  I always added a layer of freezer paper though.  Still freezer burned after a few months.  This year, it will be all vac bags.  Then I won't have to keep track.  To me, it's worth the extra cost.

Bagman

I guess the reason for my confusion as to how long the poly bags last is because we had a cow processed and all of the burger came in the poly bags taped shut.  I would hope that it would last at least six months or so. If not I better start eating a lot of hamburger cause I have a bunch of it. :o
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

beefmann

vacuum bags also remove the air which helps to keep the meat  fresher longer even if it is  frozen,, along  with what others  have  stated,, keep frost bite down

Saber 4

I vacuum bag everything now, even when I pick up family packs of meat at Sam's on sale I vacuum bag them down to 2 person meal sizes. I used to use the poly bags for everything and it didn't seem to last as long as things do with the vacuum bags. Also when I thaw in warm water in the sink it works much better than the poly bags did. I would also start eating a lot of hamburger in your case so you don't have a lot of freezer burn waste.

devo

Bagman

As for your hamburger that is already packaged from the butcher you could always just slip the poly bags into a vac bag and vac seal the whole thing. I sometimes will put stuff into smaller zip bags and than vac seal 4 or 5 and just cut the top off the vac bag and reseal as needed.

Bagman

Well it seems to be a consensus to use the poly bags only for short term storage.  Will start using the burger more and vacuum pack the ones I cant use in the next few weeks.  those bags concerned me but are so easy and cheap I thought I would trow it out there to see what everyone thought and the jury has spoken, Thanks to everyone you all have probably saved me a lot of meat.

tskeeter

Bagman, in my experience, there are two elements to the how long can I freeze it equation.  One is whether you use a zip lock style bag or whether you vacuum seal the product.  Vacuum sealed will last much longer.  But, the more important element is whether or not the product will be stored in a frost free freezer.

A "frost free" freezer is frost free because the freezer is allowed to warm up on a regular cycle.  This prevents the build up of frost and ice because any frost or ice that has accumulated melts during the warm up cycle and drains into the catch pan under the freezer so it can evaporate.  During the warm up, whatever you have stored in the freezer starts to defrost.  This means that whatever you have stored in your frost free freezer is being repeatedly frozen and defrosted all the time it is in the freezer.  If possible, I'd always vacuum seal if I was doing long term storage in a frost free freezer so that I wouldn't have air trapped in my storage bag that would oxidize the food a bit more every time the freezer warmed up.

With a manual defrost freezer, what you freeze remains solidly frozen until you remove it from the freezer.  When I was a kid, 50 years ago, my folks bought half a steer and a hog once a year.  These could be kept, wrapped in butcher paper, for more than a year without freezer burn appearing.

That said, received a shipment of wild silver salmon from my brother-in-law in Anchorage.  His technique to ensure the longest freezer life possible is to wrap the fish in plastic wrap, then vacuum seal.  Both a belt and suspenders. 

Snoopy

Quote from: Saber 4 on October 29, 2013, 06:17:07 AM
I vacuum bag everything now, even when I pick up family packs of meat at Sam's on sale I vacuum bag them down to 2 person meal sizes. I used to use the poly bags for everything and it didn't seem to last as long as things do with the vacuum bags. Also when I thaw in warm water in the sink it works much better than the poly bags did. I would also start eating a lot of hamburger in your case so you don't have a lot of freezer burn waste.

i vac bag most, when i hit costco though, its vac for 5, which breaks it down to 2 meals from there lol.

Saber 4

Quote from: Snoopy on October 29, 2013, 09:03:24 AM

i vac bag most, when i hit costco though, its vac for 5, which breaks it down to 2 meals from there lol.

It is nice when they grow up and the numbers dwindle for daily meals, at least it saves a lot of money.  :)

Sailor

Quote from: Saber 4 on October 29, 2013, 09:11:14 AM
Quote from: Snoopy on October 29, 2013, 09:03:24 AM

It is nice when they grow up and the numbers dwindle for daily meals, at least it saves a lot of money.  :)
It saves money unless they come home for a visit and clean out the freezer  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Bagman

Quote from: tskeeter on October 29, 2013, 08:44:48 AM
Bagman, in my experience, there are two elements to the how long can I freeze it equation.  One is whether you use a zip lock style bag or whether you vacuum seal the product.  Vacuum sealed will last much longer.  But, the more important element is whether or not the product will be stored in a frost free freezer.

A "frost free" freezer is frost free because the freezer is allowed to warm up on a regular cycle.  This prevents the build up of frost and ice because any frost or ice that has accumulated melts during the warm up cycle and drains into the catch pan under the freezer so it can evaporate.  During the warm up, whatever you have stored in the freezer starts to defrost.  This means that whatever you have stored in your frost free freezer is being repeatedly frozen and defrosted all the time it is in the freezer.  If possible, I'd always vacuum seal if I was doing long term storage in a frost free freezer so that I wouldn't have air trapped in my storage bag that would oxidize the food a bit more every time the freezer warmed up.

With a manual defrost freezer, what you freeze remains solidly frozen until you remove it from the freezer.  When I was a kid, 50 years ago, my folks bought half a steer and a hog once a year.  These could be kept, wrapped in butcher paper, for more than a year without freezer burn appearing.

That said, received a shipment of wild silver salmon from my brother-in-law in Anchorage.  His technique to ensure the longest freezer life possible is to wrap the fish in plastic wrap, then vacuum seal.  Both a belt and suspenders. 

tskeeter, thanks for the insight, I had never thought of it like that. Since I have one of each I will keep that in mind in the future and move around some things that are in them. The bags I am referring to are not ziplock but the ones below; probably better than ziplock but not near as good as vac seal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

tailfeathers

Check out Cabelas, they are running a special right now on their vac sea bags. The premade bags come in different sizes, but I use a lot of the smaller ones and right now they are $7.49 per 100 of the 6x10". I ordered 500
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

oops that should be vacuum seal not vac sea!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!