Dual Smoker Salmon

Started by JZ, October 29, 2013, 01:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

In the past I've smoked up to 8 racks of salmon at once in one smoker but that seems to be too much for one smoker, so this time I split the batch of 6 racks and did 3 in each smoker. All of the salmon was brined and glazed using Kummok's recipe. Thanks for that great recipe Kummok.

Batch one was done in the 4 rack DBS using 2 hours of alder pucks and batch 2 was done in the OBS with auber pid, 2 - 500W elements, 2 fans, AMZPS and pecan pellets for 3 hours.

Batch number 2 finished 2 hours before batch 1, even though the temps and times were set the same throughout the smoke / cook but the longer time resulted in no boogers on the meat in smoker 1. There were some boogers on the faster cook but not much. The smoke flavor on both turned out good, with the pecan being a little stronger (probably because of the longer smoke time). The smoke flavor settled a little during the overnight rest in the fridge and this morning was much mellower. I preferred the alder smoked batch and the wife preferred the pecan batch. I think next time I will only do 2 hrs with the pecan.

I think the results were better this way too. By not having too much fish in one smoker, the fish was smoked evenly on each rack and all the racks were evenly smoked / cooked.

Here's a pic of the fish all vac sealed and in the freezer waiting for the kids to find it.

iceman

Looks great JZ. Sounds like you have it dialed in.

Gafala

One thing we have not done yet, They look great.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Saber 4

Looks tasty, if you have to much I can provide an address ;D