Smoked Deviled Eggs?

Started by Saber 4, November 01, 2013, 07:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Ok for all you cold egg smokers has anyone cut them in half and smoked the whites and yolk's separate to make smoked deviled eggs? My first thought was to make deviled eggs and then smoke them but was afraid the mayo might spoil.

Also what times and wood do you like for your smoked eggs?

Gafala

I think that I would want to pass on that.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

devo

Google search came up with this one.

Smoked Deviled Eggs Directions
Fire up your smoker to 200 degrees and let it get warm.
Put your eggs in an empty sauce pan. Fill the sauce pan with water so eggs are completely submerged. Put the sauce pan over medium-high heat until it boils. Then turn off the burner and cover the pan with a lid. The eggs will continue to cook in the warm water for the next 12 minutes until cooked inside.
Once the water has cooled, take the eggs out and peel the shell with your hand. Put your whole eggs into a foil pan which will prevent them from falling through the grill grates or rolling around. Put the foil pan on the smoker for 45 minutes to flavor the eggs with smoke.
Cut the hard boiled eggs in half and scoop out the yellow yolk with a spoon. Put the yolk into a bowl along with Miracle Whip, Cajun seasoning, Tabasco, and salt and pepper and combine all ingredients thoroughly. Leave your Paprika out of the bowl as it will go on as the final step.
Put your mixture back into the holes in the eggs and then sprinkle Paprika as a topping.

Habanero Smoker

I would follow the directions Devo posted using the filling you like; with one additional step when making the filling. What I do is add a few of the smoked egg whites to the yokes, process in a small food processor. This will provide a smoke flavor throughout the filling.

When I smoke my eggs I will generally apply 1:40 hours of apple or maple. The below link recommends 40 minutes.
Smoked Chicken To Quail Eggs

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ragweed

Wow, some good advice from Habs and Devo.  Here's my 2 cents.  Smoke peeled, hard boiled eggs on frog mats using hickory pucks for 2 hrs at 80 F.  Bloom on the counter for an hour or so.  Give to wife to make deviled eggs.   :D :D

Wildcat

I have never smoked eggs, but why not cut the eggs in half and place on frog mats to smoke?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ragweed

Quote from: Wildcat on November 02, 2013, 04:44:21 AM
I have never smoked eggs, but why not cut the eggs in half and place on frog mats to smoke?

I suppose you could.  I've been doing them whole because that's they way they were done in the post I read. ( :( Can't remember who)  I bet if they were cut in half, you'd need way less smoke time.  Even done whole, they really soak up the smoke!

Saber 4

Thanks for all the excellent replies, I may just do 6 smoked whole and 6 smoked in half and see how they turn out when I do my cheese smoke.

Wildcat

Be sure to post the results. I may have to give this a go as long as there is no ash tray taste. Especially if cutting them in half prior to smoking works.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

pokermeister

My process- buy already hard boiled and peeled eggs from Costco. Dump 36 (no frogmats) onto each Bradley tray. Fill most of 1 row in AMZNPS with apple or hickory. Check back in 2-3 hours when golden brown. Make devilled eggs, egg salad, garnish on salad, etc. Enjoy (no ashtray taste).
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Saber 4

Should have updated this post right after I did it, for those who didn't see the post on smoked cheese and eggs here are the results. Smoked 6 whole and 6 cut in half with pecan for 2 hours. I did use the already peeled eggs from Walmart, I think fresh hard boiled eggs would take the smoke better but they were in the fridge so I used them.

Mixed up the yolks and made deviled eggs after they had sat for an hour or so. They tasted good that day and even better the next day.

I did get a bit to much mustard in the mix but other than that I will make them again.

Roget

Thanks for posting your results.

I have been waiting to see how they turned out.
I think I will try smoking some this weekend (along with another batch of Spam)
YCDBSOYA

Moosehumper

Smoked devilled eggs..... :-*
I love this forum!
For sure going to try that.

Saber 4

Quote from: Moosehumper on December 07, 2013, 03:09:44 PM
Smoked devilled eggs..... :-*
I love this forum!
For sure going to try that.

You will love them, I have now done them both ways, cutting in half and smoking to get smoke in the yolk also and smoked whole and then cut in half. I have yet to have them last more than 10 minutes at any gathering I've taken them to.

Snoopy

another idea, picked it up at the dollar store was an AS SEEN ON TV thing for making hard boiled eggs. it was a little 6 pack of egg shaped containors that you crack and put the egg into and then boil, don't have to worry about shelling them afterwords. that being said, i bought it about 6 months ago and still haven't tried it