Smoking goose

Started by Nordicsmoker, October 31, 2013, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nordicsmoker

Hi all smoking enthusiasts,

my first post to this great forum. I have been satisfied Bradley Original user about 4 months from Finland, sorry about imperfect language  :). Now back to business, I am planning to smoke a goose (domestic, fatty about 10 lbs). I need some advice from all you experts. Is it good idea to smoke goose? How about smoking time, temp, brine etc.?

I did smoked turkey (about 12 lbs) couple of weeks ago. Brined it about 48 hours at 40 F temperature (from freezer, it thawed and brined). Smoked some 6 hours with cherry and took it when IT was some 175 F. It was best turkey I have ever had. Moist, good smoky flavor, and salt was perfect.

So, my plan for goose. Brining some 48 hours (from freezer, thaw and brine) with apple and cider, some herbs, at 30 F temp. Pat dry, poke some holes with needle so that fat can come out, rubbing and maple syrup to skin and smoke 5-6 hours at 225 F preheated smoker until IT 175 F. Any advices, is this good way to go?

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, that sounds like a good meal in the making. Don't worry about the imperfect language some of us native English speakers are harder to understand than you are. So please keep posting, remember we love pictures, no pictures means it didn't happen, and happy smoking to you.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Nordicsmoker;

Welcome to the forum.

I have smoke/cooked domestic duck. After my first time, I now apply the smoke in the Bradley then move to preheated 400°F oven. For whole poultry I only apply 1:40 - 2:00 hour of smoke, but if you liked 6 hours of on turkey then you will like that amount on domestic duck. Since it is domestic, the brine you use for you turkey will work well with goose, but I do like to add juniper berries and rosemary to flavor duck. Though I've never used that combination with apple cider. You can fully cook it in the Bradley, but my results have always been very tough skin. If you fully cook in the Bradley, poultry with skin is one of the few times I recommend leaving the vent wide open. At least during the first part of the cook, when the skin is releasing a lot of moisture.

I use the tip of a boning knife to piece the skin around the fatty areas, making sure I do not pierce the meat. I will pierce about every 1.5 - 2-inches. Note: I do not pierce the breast area. I like my duck and goose a little rarer, so I will cook to an IT of 145°F - 150°F, remove from oven, loosely tent and let rest at least 15 minutes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

welcome to the forum, never done a goose, though i have done turkey  with 3 hours of apple

Nordicsmoker

Thanks for replies, especially Habanero Smoker, very detailed tips. Juniper berries sounds good. Maybe i split cooking with Bradley and oven.

Actually that is christmas goose plan, so dont expect pictures very soon  ;D.

Saber 4

Quote from: Nordicsmoker on November 01, 2013, 07:15:44 AM
Thanks for replies, especially Habanero Smoker, very detailed tips. Juniper berries sounds good. Maybe i split cooking with Bradley and oven.

Actually that is christmas goose plan, so dont expect pictures very soon  ;D.

If it's for a special holiday you could always do a "test" run early on to see how it turns out, that way you get to eat an extra goose this year and make sure you have a perfect holiday meal.

Nordicsmoker

Quote from: Saber 4 on November 01, 2013, 07:17:15 AM
If it's for a special holiday you could always do a "test" run early on to see how it turns out, that way you get to eat an extra goose this year and make sure you have a perfect holiday meal.

Very tempting idea, eating one extra is not problem  :). Maybe test run ensure perfect holiday meal.